First Studio Session

skyonfire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody.. I'm looking for tough critisism on the following pics.. I just got my new studio lights set up and these are the best.. I would be greatful for any advice as to what I can do to make them better.. Keep in mind that I shoot with 35mm and these have just been scanned.. No post processing.

018_17.jpg

017_16.jpg

016_15.jpg

014_13.jpg

011_10.jpg

Here's a couple I forgot...

022_21e.jpg

020_19e.jpg

All seem to be a bit out of focus and contrast needs to be bumped up a bit. I really can't comment too much on the lighting setup as I'm in the throes of setting up my own lights and will be asking for feedback here soon. :)

Nice poses though.

Your photo lab is killing me. Color correction issues again.:D

What I see is you need a little more seperation from the background to the subject. I like to keep the subject at least 3ft from the background.

The lighting looks pretty flat. Do your lights have power control? if not, move your fill a little further away. They may need to be a little higher too.

I think 4 and 6 are the most successful.

That was the first time I had used them.. And I guess they were a little low.. And I did have the fill at the same distance as the main.. Luckily for me the guy in the photo doesn't mind reshoots.. (my hubby) Thanks for the advice...

Is there anything I can do myself as far as the color goes??

Yeah, make them reprint them. If you could find a lab that will give you neg scans of your images, then you can post process them your self and have an online printing service print them.

I did have them put that roll on a cd.. But I don't have photoshop.. I just have what came with the cd which is Kodak Easy Share.. can I do anything with that??

I know that a number of people on the forum uses a free processing program called Gimp. I guess it is similiar to Photoshop. You could google that an try it. There is some links to it also on the forum. You could search there for it.

doubtfully. but to tell you the truth, these are some refreshing images, definatly of the beaten path.

its not like anything i would ever shoot, however sometimes art directors like this kind of stuff.

if i shot them i would . . . .

seperate model from black backdrop further, and use like a classic 3 light setup, with #1 is 3/4 angled at his right shoulder and #2 is 3/4 angled at his left shoulder. The third SB800 is place slightly behind and 3/4 angled towards his back. also, some people get in the habit of thinking "the farther the model from the light, the softer the light, which means its more even, and more attractive" NOT TRUE. you reach a point where it just becomes uninteresting.

play with varying the distances of the lights, as well as the output.

another fun set up is by on location having one directly behind your model, out of view from the camera, like a hair light or somthing, except it illuminates the whole body. and one to your right angled towards the model, and one on the left softer and powered down towards the model.

Well I'll take that as a good thing.. I don't want them to look stiff (or posed) I want them to look more natural.. So I guess I'm doin good in that respect. Thanks for the input.. and I'll try the lighting setup you suggested tonite when he gets home...

What do you want see? Not sure on the exact position and set up so provide that info and we will be able to give specific advice.

As far as lighting goes you certainly have the subject well lit. Soft light and shadow less is one approach. The idea is that you now have the power to control the light. Spend time and shape the subject with your main. Then add fill, background and hair lights. The concept is easy to pick up. Creating your light journey is a life long process.

Subject was about 2 ft from the background, the main light was about 3-4 ft from the subject on the right side, the fill light was the same distance from subject on the left side,background light was just behind and off to the left of the subject. As I said b4 this was the 1st time I had used them so any info that can be given would be great!!

The main sounds like it is in the right position. Usually I will light the subject with the main coming in high and at a 45º angle. Work with the shadows. Use them to define the shape of the subject. Try and narrow it down so that the main is lighting the model only. For me fill comes in as a huge piece of foam core. More often then not I like contrasty portraits. Consider that if you have light you can have shadow. If you like a flatter scene Kick in a bounce flash to light the shadows. Personally I rarely use a background light. I always point it to the back of the models head.

Technically that translates as the main at full strength with a bunch a black cards controlling the light. I like to use a lot of diffusion. Depending what you are looking for the bounce should come in much less then that. I shoot the hair light at 1/3 to 1/2 the strength of the main and I always use a snoot.

This is just my approach. As you pick up the tech it will become a lot more clear.

Most reactions

Back