First Studio Shots....

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by tinacolada, Jan 10, 2006.

1. tinacolada

tinacolada TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I am having trouble with my studio lights but thought that I would see what you guys thought about these! It's my baby calli! Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PachelbelsCanon350D

PachelbelsCanon350D TPF Noob!

Wow is she STUNNING. Those eyes!!!

As for the lighting, I'm new to this still....and am only beginning to experiment with artificial light. But it looks like the light is all aimed at her from the front. I can see her casting a shadow on the black backdrop I think? I would suggest maybe trying them both flanking her at 45 degree angles, only put one farther away so it's weaker...maybe a fill light from behind to light up those adorable kewpie hairs she has.

(??) Other replies will be better!!

3. tinacolada

tinacolada TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I will work on it and hopefully get better at this! ~T

4. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, it seems like the lighting is too much like a flash. I agree with moving the light back or toning it down somewhat so you can get some shadows to help model her face. Cute kid! I'm interested to hear what the lighting gurus say about this one...

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Personally I would have approached the subject in a softer way. I like a lot of diffusion. Bounced or huge soft boxes. If you like hard light keep in mind that shadows may be needed.

Lighting is very particular. Consider how you want the subject to be perceived. Then light it.

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The direct light does look like on-camera flash. How many lights do you have? If only one, you can use a piece of white foam-core as a reflector. You could also use a translucent white shower curtain as a difuser. Try putting all the lights behind it for a "wall of light" and then use a reflector on the other side of her. You get lots of diffuse light as if it were a giant window.