First time editing RAW. Please help C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by eric-holmes, Mar 17, 2010.

1. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Please keep in mind that I know this is not a very good picture. I just wanted to do some side by side comparison of JPEG vs RAW. I did the exact same amount of slider work on both images. The only difference is I followed (I followed what I could being as that I only have Elements) the advice from this thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...o-gallery/197325-full-photoshop-workflow.html It is harder starting from the RAW image but I think there is a definite better image quality. Please keep in mind this was a literal 5 minute edit and comparison.

RAW
    [​IMG]

JPEG
    [​IMG]

2. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

the 'RAW' looks more appealing to me. but what are you demonstrating here? i'm not sure i follow your point.

you shot a RAW+JPEG of the scene then PPd both the same way? (to create two, comparable JPEGS?)

3. eric-holmes

Photos OK to edit
    Yes that is correct. I wanted to see just how much better, if any, shooting RAW is.

4. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

tons. i only use RAW these days.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. eric-holmes

Photos OK to edit
    It's just so much harder editing them. Maybe it's just because I'm a noob at RAW. Here is a question. I'm running windows 7 and I have no way to preview the raw files bedoreni select them. Any ideas?

6. FemFugler

FemFugler TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did your Nikon come with a program to view RAW files in? Mine did... I haven't reinstalled it so i could be wrong, but installed the programs when i had windows vista and thought that was what they were for but at that point i was still shooting JPG so wasn't certain. I beleive picasa... wait let me go check before i go suggesting possibilities I'll come back to this.