First time ever trying birds in flight. Any good?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DemonAstroth, Mar 1, 2010.

1. DemonAstroth

DemonAstroth TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So with the 70-200 I didn't have much chance of trying to catch birds in flight, and most of my shots were horridly blurry.

These are taken with a 70-300, which I have read many comments here in the forum doubting its quality. Sure it's not an L, but I don't think it's so bad. Maybe L snobs?

Anyway, as for the shots this is my first time ever. I know that these are pretty exotic birds not commonly seen, but hey it's a start. :lmao:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do see some of the artifacts from the water bokeh that some complain about. I actually find them pleasing in the picture, adding to the agitation of the water crashing. It's such a handholdable lens that I'm starting to like it even better than the 70-200. L or no L

Not much pp was done to this, except from WB and tone changes. I did have to delete a few dust spots in my camera. Anyone knows how to clean it up so as not having to do the pp in EVERY picture taken?

CC always welcome.

2. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the shots look great. Obviously, kinda boring a bit as they're boring birds and even an amazing shot of a seagull, is still only going to be 'meh'. But that aside, the focus and exposure looks good and no real complaints with composition. You could have maybe gone for a slightly higher shutter speed in the last one to get rid of the wingtip blur, though not always an option with that lens. It is a good lens though, I use it and for the price I paid I couldn't be happier really.

3. Santa Gertrudis

Santa Gertrudis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the second and third one are your keepers. None are too bad though in my opinion.

4. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I first saw the photos, I thought they were mine. I have the same lens and was shooting the same kind of shots, with very similar results. I think it takes a lot of practice to really make this kind of shot work.
    I like yours and I see some of the same issues I have. One issue is the lighting you are working with...very bright.
    Maybe try this kind of shot earlier or later in the day.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great shots. Navy Pier is a great spot for shooting people and birds. I often times venture over there to shoot in the summer.

While the advice here is often times sound, take it for what it's worth. It's being given for free by people you have no idea what their experience level is with the product you're asking about. Read it, digest it, look elsewhere for independent tests and decide for yourself if something deserves a second look.

6. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Is that the "70-300 f4-5.6 is usm" you're using?

I've yet to try something like this and I have very little input, but I think you did well: the pictures are sharp and the birds are in focus.

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Out of all the shots, the second one stands out for me for a few reasons.

- it has a slight tilt / motion in the subject of the bird flying away from the photographer or towards the background. I prefer this over a straight on profile shot

- more importantly, it was a great background that adds alot to the actual image and subject. You typically find these pests in cities, so having a background that shows a bit more of the story of these birds makes the image stronger.

8. DemonAstroth

DemonAstroth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all for your comments.

fokker,
    though most of the time I shoot in Av, this time I simply put it in P. I changed to AI Focus and basically just wanted to get the birds in focus. I'm happy that most pictures came with very decent results and the camera/lens were able to keep up with the subject. I can only imagine was a d1mk4 can do!

SG,
    Those are also two of my favorites, I really like the detail on 3, but there was something about the wing shape in 2 that I liked a lot.

pbelarge,
    I think with slow lenses is pretty hard to complain about too much light! I only noticed a few overexposed ones. I did use the highlight tone priority custom function, but don't know how much it may have helped, as I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Intempus,
    Thanks for the compliment. These were not taken at Navy Pier, though it is of course lake Michigan. These were taken on a beach area on the south side. 35th st maybe? As for the advice, I have learned to just read MANY reviews in MANY sites. The biggest complaints on the lens I read were that it is prone to flare, and the bokeh artifacts due to the diffractive optics. Yet, comments coming particularly from this site where sort of negative. The following link was the one that made me go for it: Bill Lockhart’s Blog Canon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO — First Impressions , then I just found a pretty good deal for it ($620)

Reznap,
    This is the DO version. Supposedly slightly sharper, much smaller, with a non rotating front element and full time manual focusing, and better build quality. Unfortunately, it is also more prone to flare, more expensive (to the point where some don't think it is worth the extra price), and some people dislike the distinct bokeh it produces..... oooh almost forgot. It has a cool green ring! :lol:

bigtwinky,
    Thanks, I really appreciate your comment. It does make sense about having the city in the background. As noted before, I liked the silhouette of the wings, but the city does indeed give an extra element. I don't quite understand the tilt aspect? Like horizon crooked? If so that was inadvertently.

Dust spots anyone? :)

9. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, english isn't my strong suite so I sometimes dont type things out the way they sound in my head.

What I meant by tilt was the direction / way the bird is flying...his wings are tilted. I like the way the tilted wings, and his flying away direction, look as opposed to the straight lines of the city buildings in the background.

10. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ha, I would have purchased it for that price too, Demon. Thanks for the reply, nice lens :)

11. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is the T2i even out yet?

12. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

i like them. maybe one or two the framing isn't that hot but hey - it's a moving target. most of them are sharp and nice pictures. keep going!