First time Moto X

Kev Richards

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, this is my first time taking shots of this nature. They were taken on two separate days at a local practice track in Coventry. The organisers where gracious enough to not only allow me access free of charge but also to go onto the track to better vantage points. The first two shots were taken on a very muddy day, the second pair on a much dryer weekend. I would appreciate any pointers is how I can improve my shots as I plan to go back again....and again.

IMG_1776_edited_edited.jpg

IMG_1751_edited_edited.jpg

_MG_1984_edited.jpg

_MG_19741_edited.jpg

Shutter speed was too fast making them look static you also didn't pick a good vantage point
I totally agree that they look static. What shutter speed would you recommend for these type of shots.

First, find a better location for shooting. If the riders are crossing your field of view, then you should pan with them. Find a place where the action is at its most interesting.

Your shutter speed is fine. Take a look here Simon Cudby Photo Video - Home page images
Simon Cudby is regarded as the #1 MX shooter in the world. Tell me how many blurred or panned shots do you see? Open any MX magazine and look again.... Zero panned or slow shutter shots. If you have any hopes of being published keep your shutter speeds high!

Your shutter speed is fine. Take a look here Simon Cudby Photo Video - Home page images
Simon Cudby is regarded as the #1 MX shooter in the world. Tell me how many blurred or panned shots do you see? Open any MX magazine and look again.... Zero panned or slow shutter shots. If you have any hopes of being published keep your shutter speeds high!
Having looked at the link I can see what your saying. His images are extremely crisp. There is also no noise present at all either which I tend to get from using fast shutter speeds and high ISO

But still his pics show a dynamic action, I don't like the B&W of the pics in the OP, They deserve some collor.

I agree they should be in color but for his first time at the track I think he did great. Mr Richards, if you have any local motocross forums you might want to join them to make some connections at nearby tracks.

The best thing you can do is learn to shoot both kinds; experiment and play around and see what YOU like. If you want to be published then do listen to feedback and study the market; but understand that different viewers want different things and that just because one pro does it one way doesn't mean everyone has to. By learning the core skills you are then able to choose yourself.

I'd also say that whilst the linked pro is getting sharp bikes in static motion they are making heavy use of either jumps (where the motion is slower anyway) or where the bike is kicking up a huge storm of dust behind it which gives the sense of motion.

Noise is another aspect and learning to work at sports is part and parcel of learning to deal with high ISO noise. It's a nightmare; but learnable! Learn to expose to the right as much as you can (look that theory up as well as how to read histograms if you're not doing so already); learn what your setting limits are (ergo how wide you can go on aperture - how slow in shutter speed (and how fast if you want blur). Then you can use that to guide how high you need to take your ISO.

Don't fear the ISO either; if you need it higher take it higher. A clean well exposed photo will have less noise than one you have to bump up in editing; even if the ISO is lower. Furthermore accept that sometimes its going to be dark and your going to be maxed out on your settings and thus having very noisy shot to work with.

I can't give advice on angles (not shot this kind of event before); but study others work. Look at how they compose - the angles they go for - get an idea of the positions they are shooting from.

Th
The best thing you can do is learn to shoot both kinds; experiment and play around and see what YOU like. If you want to be published then do listen to feedback and study the market; but understand that different viewers want different things and that just because one pro does it one way doesn't mean everyone has to. By learning the core skills you are then able to choose yourself.

I'd also say that whilst the linked pro is getting sharp bikes in static motion they are making heavy use of either jumps (where the motion is slower anyway) or where the bike is kicking up a huge storm of dust behind it which gives the sense of motion.

Noise is another aspect and learning to work at sports is part and parcel of learning to deal with high ISO noise. It's a nightmare; but learnable! Learn to expose to the right as much as you can (look that theory up as well as how to read histograms if you're not doing so already); learn what your setting limits are (ergo how wide you can go on aperture - how slow in shutter speed (and how fast if you want blur). Then you can use that to guide how high you need to take your ISO.

Don't fear the ISO either; if you need it higher take it higher. A clean well exposed photo will have less noise than one you have to bump up in editing; even if the ISO is lower. Furthermore accept that sometimes its going to be dark and your going to be maxed out on your settings and thus having very noisy shot to work with.

I can't give advice on angles (not shot this kind of event before); but study others work. Look at how they compose - the angles they go for - get an idea of the positions they are shooting from.
thank you very much for your advice. I will be going back again and will continue to adapt my own skills.

But still his pics show a dynamic action, I don't like the B&W of the pics in the OP, They deserve some collor.

Here are the same shots in colour

_MG_1974_edited.jpg
_MG_1984 4 mp.jpg
IMG_1751 4 mp.jpg
IMG_1776 4 mp.jpg

Very nice, I like the color shots. Looks pretty muddy, most guys around here would not run their 4-strokes in those conditions for fear of plugging the radiators. I find MX very challenging with most time running in bright mid day sun. Overcast days are few & far between where I live.

Most reactions

Back