First time photographer.. what equipments i need ?

BluePhoton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well i recently plunged into the world of photos .. and was wondering what basic equipment i need ?

I recently bought a Lumix DCM-FZ35 and i have everything which came in the box.

I also have a basic tripod which i use for my binoculars.

Anything else i need to start taking good pics ?

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question .. but i am still a newbie.. don't know a thing about photography :D:blushing:

Sounds like you have pretty much everything to get started. I would probably suggest a Good circular polarizer filter. Its a must have. Good I mean by Hoya or Heleopan ( I misspelled them or maybe even Tiffen though I like the other two brands a bit better)

Dont buy anything else YET.. Just start shooting. You can get good photos with DSLR basic lens kit.

Return it and buy an DSLR ;).

I am not familiar with your model, but am sure you can get a filter adapter for it. Most cameras like that do have em. Should only run ya a few bucks and in my opinion a Cir Polarizer is only followed by the camera and lens in importance. A good tripod is also a must if it shakes even a bit when that shutter goes it's worthless.

Ignore them... your lumix is a good start. Good photos are taken by the photographer not by the camera (of course it helps).

As Schwettylens said, just start shooting. Then examine your photos and determine what you do and do not like about them... experiment! Look at other's photos that you do like... study them.

Ignore them... your lumix is a good start. Good photos are taken by the photographer not by the camera (of course it helps).

As Schwettylens said, just start shooting. Then examine your photos and determine what you do and do not like about them... experiment! Look at other's photos that you do like... study them.

Yup, i am not planning to a major investment on optics.. but will start shooting and shooting..

I will for sure get a Hoya polarizer filter though..

Thanks for all the info everybody..

Also are there any books available out there on basic photography and info ?

Thanks again.

My ex girlfriend had a lumix and it took very nice photos. I think you will be fine until you want to start getting into it more.

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is often recommended, and it's a good book. Scott Kelby also has some books out for beginners, they're also good. It's refreshing to hear a beginner actually asking for book recommendations. Have fun with your new cam.

My ex girlfriend had a lumix and it took very nice photos. I think you will be fine until you want to start getting into it more.

Yup i read the reviews and pretty much everybody has given lots of positive points so i am very optimistic.. lets see how it goes.

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is often recommended, and it's a good book. Scott Kelby also has some books out for beginners, they're also good. It's refreshing to hear a beginner actually asking for book recommendations. Have fun with your new cam.

Sure, will get that book from the library, i have already ordered a book called "Photography" from the library .. lets see how it is.

So i had this question, the polarized filter is used only in bright light ? i am from Seattle and sun is a rear thing out here :D

So i had this question, the polarized filter is used only in bright light ?

In my opinion, if you don't know what it's for and when you would use it, than you shouldn't get it. It will only confuse you. Just go out and start taking pictures and learn how to use your camera. Once you have some experience and you've learned the basics of composition and exposure, and you're able to say "this photo would have come out better if I had used a circular polarizer", that's when you know you're ready to buy one.

why isnt this a "DSLR"?
lt55.jpg

Most reactions

Back