First time photographing a person. C&C please!

Ashlorraine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been practicing taking photos for about 8 months now but had yet to try photographing people! Honestly it makes a me a little nervous because I am used to taking photos of nature in complete solitude. But the other day my friend was sitting in a hammock and I had my Nikon with me so I figured I should give it a shot. I really would like some advice/critiques on these photos because I plan to go back and have an organized photo shoot at the same location. Thanks so much! Being harsh and critical (but not mean) is fine because it will help me improve! I have a Nikon D60.

photo one:
4668183722_2625f0f54c.jpg

photo two:
4667598061_cfbc85bfda.jpg

photo three:
4668182540_86df40b6a0.jpg

photo four:
4668184116_520bf74ec3.jpg

photo five: (notice my crazy dog in the background lol)
4667547135_b5e688c049.jpg

photo six:
4668174612_b33593c695.jpg

Congratulations on your first people photos!

I think my favorite is the one where your dog is eating your friend...:lol:

Ok but seriously...

For me the hammock itself distracts me from the girl. I doubt you really wanted that, but it happens when I look at them. Most of them seem just a bit too busy for my personal taste.

I like how you seem to have gotten your subject to relax and be open, not too serious.

I don't like the color in the first one...seems flat to me?

I think my (honest) favorite one is the one with the girl holding the wooden bar up close to her face (#4)...others might disagree, but it almost seems "simple" and "innocent" with a hint of "devilish" to me...Maybe more of her eyes visible would have been nice.

Number 3 has some awesome eye popping going...

Again, congratulations, overall I think they're some nice pics! :thumbup:

Last edited:
The pictures looks really good, I like photo number 4

really nice shots . my favourite is no 4.

I like 2 4 and 6. Nice job. Love the expression on 4. 2 looks like you got your shadow in there.

One is not great and happens to be the only one taken from below. Hmm ..

i like the coloring of the first one its just her expression that throws it off for me...but all of them are pretty good! good job!

Most reactions

Back