First time Playing with Flash...

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my first strobe last week, and sb-600. Still learning (overexposed) and haven't gotten the chance to do a proper shoot with it yet, but I did play around with it in house. All shots are with a 35mm f/1.8 and flash set to TTL mode. No real editing done, just a little bit of saturation etc.

4930503471_b99b44b0d7_b.jpg

4930504143_bd200b39bc_b.jpg

3. Wish I would have fixed the fallen blanket in the back ... but it was impromptu lol
4930503953_4a9f549bf1_b.jpg

What kind of camera are you using? How did you aim the flash? Any flash compensation?

Waiting for the second time. :waiting:

What kind of camera are you using? How did you aim the flash? Any flash compensation?

Nikon d3000, 45 degree bounce off ceiling, and no flash compensation.

Waiting for the second time. :waiting:

I'm guessing you didn't like them lol

The SB-600 is a good little flash. The more you play with it, the better you will get with it.
As far as the images above go, they are a bit washed.

The question is....... Did You Like Them?

Give an honest assesment. Are these what you were really expecting? The missus has blown out nose, cheek & breast bones You completely blew out the background on the dogs.

Now, tell us how you had your setup. I guarantee it wasn't TTL with the other parametes in play for proper exposure.

Yeah, I fire off snapshots with that strobe in TTL and get much different results. That's why I asked about his angle and if he had any compensation.

I would try firing it straight up next time and seeing what that does for you.

The question is....... Did You Like Them?

Give an honest assesment. Are these what you were really expecting? The missus has blown out nose, cheek & breast bones You completely blew out the background on the dogs.

Now, tell us how you had your setup. I guarantee it wasn't TTL with the other parametes in play for proper exposure.

Truthfully, I actually like my shots (mostly b/c of how huge of a difference bouncing flash makes -- I'm easily amused lol), minus the blown out parts. The flash was set on TTL mode (Possibly TTL + BL, but definitely not manual), so you guaranteed wrongly sir.

Would the Aperture make a difference in a shot like this. It was shot wide open at 1.8.

Yeah, I fire off snapshots with that strobe in TTL and get much different results. That's why I asked about his angle and if he had any compensation.

I would try firing it straight up next time and seeing what that does for you.

Would you happen to have a diffuser on your flash when you do this? I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet, it was using straight flash.

No diffuser.
I just bounce off the ceiling (straight up) for candid household snapshots.

While I use the flash mostly off camera (still TTL), I still bounce up with good results.

....The flash was set on TTL mode (Possibly TTL + BL, but definitely not manual), so you guaranteed wrongly sir.
Not so quickly young grasshopper.
If you noticed the whole sentence, it ended with.... with the other parametes in play for proper exposure.

Tell us, what was your camera shooting mode, manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, program.... GET THE PARAMETICS STAT....
How did you meter the scene?
Hang on... let's back up a minute..... Did you read the manual first? Or did you just slap that puppy on the hotshoe and fire away? C'mon.... tell the truth.

There are loads of ways to use this flash. It will take time and practice to find its full potential..... and it is a fine piece of equipment. Eventually, you'll get there with more hits than misses.

GL, just having a bit of fun dude. :D

But seriously..... these photos.............. good first try............ but seriously......... you'll find out soon enough.

....The flash was set on TTL mode (Possibly TTL + BL, but definitely not manual), so you guaranteed wrongly sir.
Not so quickly young grasshopper.
If you noticed the whole sentence, it ended with.... with the other parametes in play for proper exposure.

Tell us, what was your camera shooting mode, manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, program.... GET THE PARAMETICS STAT....
How did you meter the scene?
Hang on... let's back up a minute..... Did you read the manual first? Or did you just slap that puppy on the hotshoe and fire away? C'mon.... tell the truth.

There are loads of ways to use this flash. It will take time and practice to find its full potential..... and it is a fine piece of equipment. Eventually, you'll get there with more hits than misses.

GL, just having a bit of fun dude. :D

But seriously..... these photos.............. good first try............ but seriously......... you'll find out soon enough.

exif data on wife picture:
Camera Nikon D3000
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.5
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected X-Resolution 72 dpi Y-Resolution 72 dpi 6
Exposure Program Aperture-priority
Max Aperture Value 1.7
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Light Source Unknown

I don't mind your thoughts on the shots, I'm here to learn, and I said these were 'play around' shots ... I knew they were not 'Professional' by any means (which is why they are in the BEGINNER'S FORUM).

I just don't appreciate your first comment that added absolutely NOTHING to the thread. I'm glad you finally offered some advice, but I could do without the 'drilling' of me aka.

Did you read the manual first? Or did you just slap that puppy on the hotshoe and fire away? C'mon.... tell the truth.
It's obvious you've been around here for a while and after looking at your shots, you have a lot of talent. All I ask is for a little tact while offering your opinion, thats all.

But to answer your questions, I did a lot of research (seeing settings of others, etc) and reading up on 'on camera' and 'off camera' flash before placing my order. I did slap that 'puppy' on there, but also skimmed the manual while playing with settings.

Anyways, thanks for your comments.

:lol: Thanks. I'm told on a daily basis that I married 'up' from my friends lol

LOL That's horrible!

I don't think these look bad for a first play around with the flash.

Lemme tell you, when I finally get to order mine, I'm totally not gonna sit and read the whole manual before I practice. I'll do like you and skim and adjust, etc. WAAAYYYY too much excitement for that.

After looking at your Exif data, there's two things you could have done to bring the exposure under control; bring up the shutter speed, and/or step down the aperture (higher f/#).

I would have stepped down the aperture first. Aperture controls more than just how much light gets through the lens. It also controls Depth of Field (DOF). DOF is how much of the image is in focus. A small f/# will result in a shallow DOF. A larger f/# will widen the DOF.

When doing portraits like your first shot, a wider depth of field will bring more of the subject in to focus. Notice how the little hairs toward the back of her head are out of focus? That's because of the shallow depth of field. If you used a larger f/#, like f/8, all of the subject would be in focus AND the exposure would lower.

The second option is shutter speed. What you can set your shutter to while using a flash is dependant on the flash. My Nissin 360TW allows me to go up to 1/200 sec. Any faster and only part of the shot will be lit. 1/60 sec. is really slow for a flash photo (unless there's very little light or you are going for an effect.) So once you have your aperture where you want it, set the shutter speed to whatever you need to get a proper exposure.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back