First Time posting photos.. how about some C&C

Omitinibu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok time for my first constructive criticism request.. lets start the basics..

Camera & Acc. Used=
Camera Body: Sony Alpha 300 (10.2 mps)
Lens: Minolta prime lens 50mm f1.7
External Flash: Sony Model HVL-F36AM

Other useful information=
Lighting aside from the flash is from a house hold ceiling lamp. (not sure if that helps).
Quality of photo is set to Fine..
Creative style is set to Vivid…
white balance is set to AWB..
Picture is set to Large format (approx 8.4mp)

Subject(s)=
2 dozen or so small pebbles
a rock around the size of a normal hand (white with a bit of brick coloring)
some tree bark.. from the stand which is 2 slabs of tree bark..

Goal=
I am attempting to accomplish different points of focus.. pebbles tree, bark, foreground, etc… so in every picture there will be something out of focus (pls keep in mind that this is part of my goal)

All pictures are…
Aperture: f 1.7
Shutter: 1/80th
ISO: 100
metering mode: Center weighted
they only differ with manual focus and auto.. (I really thought I had taken a more diverse amount of pics.. but I guess those were the ones I didn’t like and deleted.. sry)

1st..
Manual Focus trying to capture the 3 subjects with a blurred foreground and background
barkstonepebbles.jpg

2nd..
Manual Focus as well focusing only on the bark
bark.jpg

3rd..
Auto Focus trying to only get the pebbles
pebbles.jpg

4th..
Manual Focus attempting to replicate photo #3 but adding a blurred foreground
centerpebbles.jpg

Thanks ahead of time..
Joe

... What? no love for the newbs.. :er:
gotta admit.. Kind of discouraging here.. :(
ill just go take some more pics :p

There aren't really any comments to be made..

You state that you are focusing on a particular part of the scene... OK, we can see that.. it's simply an exercise..

You're using a single setting, so no attempt is made at exposure variances on the different subjects, no attempt for DOF comparison, and no attempt is made at composition..

What's to say......:D

Yup, that's 4 pictures of rocks with a shallow depth of field.

Last edited:

You state that you are focusing on a particular part of the scene... OK, we can see that.. it's simply an exercise..

You're using a single setting, so no attempt is made at exposure variances on the different subjects, no attempt for DOF comparison, and no attempt is made at composition..

1) Single settings.. sry I dont understand what that means I am new the the forum and only have been at photography for about 2 weeks.

2) Looking at the pictures individually.. photo number 4th looks a bit under exposed. having to give an objective point of view I was able to see that

3) I dont see how no attempt for DoF comparison applies i have 4 photos with 4 different depths of field.

4) I dont know what composition is so I guess I will look that up.

Dont take this as me being offensive or trying to shut down your reply. I am simply a beginner and have stated that in a number of my first few posts. & the fact that this is my second day on the forum should also show im a beginner.. while its not wize to assume someone is an amature it is also unwize to assume they are as skilled as you.. but again im not trying to be offensive. im simply new to photography and am looking for feed back on my photos.. I appreciate your reply and will look up photo composition along with single settings..
Joe

I appreciate your reply and will look up photo composition along with single settings..

Well you're not going to find anything for single settings. I think he is referring to the fact the camera is basically set to the same settings in all the frames but just with you moving it to create different planes of focus. There is much to say about composition but think if it as the creative backbone of a photo. Bad composition will prevent a technically correct photo from being good, but it is possible to have a well composed shot with a lot of technical errors look great (the accidental out of focus/bad lighting shot you take and say "wow that looks cool").

The shots just look like a series of exercises you're doing which is great. I wouldn't say they are the most interesting things to look at, but if you take what you've learned from it and apply it to other things, you'll have some great shots. Keep shooting, you're on the right track and realize that some people's opinions sound more harsh than they are due to this being the interweb. I think Larry was trying to be honest and sincere, not an ass.

1) Single settings.. sry I dont understand what that means I am new the the forum and only have been at photography for about 2 weeks.

2) Looking at the pictures individually.. photo number 4th looks a bit under exposed. having to give an objective point of view I was able to see that

3) I dont see how no attempt for DoF comparison applies i have 4 photos with 4 different depths of field.

4) I dont know what composition is so I guess I will look that up.

Dont take this as me being offensive or trying to shut down your reply. I am simply a beginner and have stated that in a number of my first few posts. & the fact that this is my second day on the forum should also show im a beginner.. while its not wize to assume someone is an amature it is also unwize to assume they are as skilled as you.. but again im not trying to be offensive. im simply new to photography and am looking for feed back on my photos.. I appreciate your reply and will look up photo composition along with single settings..
Joe

1. single setting.. You say that they are all at f1.7, 1/80, ISO80 - that is a single setting for all the shots

2. Yes, if you use the same setting, moving the camera around will result in a different exposure as light hits a scene differently from different angles..

3. No, not really.. You have 4 separate photos and so the DOF is not comparing anything to anything.. A comparison would be the exact same camera position using different settings to achieve a comparison of the same scene shot differently.

4. Composition...well, I guess you're gong to look it up, but it's basically how the main subject is placed within the frame for best presentation..

Nobody should ever be offended when they ask for critique and receive it.... I make no assumptions on the skill level or time on the forum for anybody with any post of mine.............Your second post seemed to imply that you wanted somebody to say something....

I appreciate your reply and will look up photo composition along with single settings..
The shots just look like a series of exercises you're doing which is great. I wouldn't say they are the most interesting things to look at, but if you take what you've learned from it and apply it to other things, you'll have some great shots. Keep shooting, you're on the right track and realize that some people's opinions sound more harsh than they are due to this being the interweb. I think Larry was trying to be honest and sincere, not an ass.

Thanks i looked up composition and honestly i strongly disagree with larrys perspective on the lack of it.. my theme was simple.. things of nature.. hence the bark, pebbles and rock all on top of a piece of a tree.. and what i emphasized on varied between the three of my subjects. my way of simplifying it in each photo was with the lack of focus on what i didnt want the viewer to get distracted on. i even stated that the whole point was to have things out of focus..
but i see your point cause at first glance his words did seem harsh.. especially coming after me not getting any insight on my photos.. like i said very discouraging.. ive only been in this hobby for 2 weeks and though ive done nothing but research and read... im still learning and im still a beginner so i sorta felt picked on :grumpy: but i made a point to not get confrontational.. either way you put it.. it caused me to learn what composition is so im greatfull..
Joe

Thanks i looked up composition and honestly i strongly disagree with larrys perspective on the lack of it.. my theme was simple.. things of nature.. hence the bark, pebbles and rock all on top of a piece of a tree.. and what i emphasized on varied between the three of my subjects. my way of simplifying it in each photo was with the lack of focus on what i didnt want the viewer to get distracted on. i even stated that the whole point was to have things out of focus..
but i see your point cause at first glance his words did seem harsh.. especially coming after me not getting any insight on my photos.. like i said very discouraging.. ive only been in this hobby for 2 weeks and though ive done nothing but research and read... im still learning and im still a beginner so i sorta felt picked on :grumpy: but i made a point to not get confrontational.. either way you put it.. it caused me to learn what composition is so im greatfull..
Joe

I am new as well to photography but I do know if your wanting honest C&C you have to get a tuffer skin and take the good with the bad. Anytime I have ever got someone on here telling me whats wrong with my photo's I listen and learn and apply what they say to my next shoot. I ask for C&C because I want to learn how to be a better photographer. No one is picking on you just trying to give you the help you asked for ;)

As for your photo's I must agree with the mass, but just keep playing with your camera and shooting anything and everything it will get better and better the more you listen and learn...and welcome to the fourm:hugs:

Every critique, whether good or bad, should make you want to take a better photo. Embrace everyone's opinions, take the advice you see fit, and strive to learn and grow, but don't let another person's words discourage you. The worst part about critique is that it becomes more harsh even when you think your shots are improving. So while beginner's tend to make a lot of technical/compositional mistakes, more advanced photographers get critiqued for how they break/follow those rules. The critics never cease and that often fuels our growth. Hope you keep you shooting and learning, you're off to a good start.

Thank you to everyone. imma go out side browse for some good shots.. talk to you guys & gals in a few ;-)

*rolls eyes* Well I'll actually say something then.

Your DoF is too thin (for my taste). Razor thin. If the aperture is constant, DoF decreases as with focus distance, meaning at at the range you were working at (which I'm betting was close to the minimum focus distance of your lens, given that it's a 50mm on a crop sensor), the theorectical DoF was probably 0. Or very close to 0; like 0.002 m or something silly like that. f/2.8 would have been more effective, methinks.

Seriously, you need to ease down on the ol' accelerator there my man. Sometimes you may have (gasp!) WAIT a while before you get some response. I've had photos be up for days before getting any CC, and I never bumped them once.

I don't think a half hour is reasonable to expect a response.

... What? no love for the newbs.. :er:
gotta admit.. Kind of discouraging here.. :(
ill just go take some more pics :p

Your DOF is far too small for the subject in question (being the stones) and the fact they are all ariel views, try get down close and personal with them (eye level views) try orienting the angle your shooting at,
try it in a different area, stones in a house next to a little tree stump isnt very interesting however, if you supersize it with rocks (like Stone henge) then it is allot more interesting, assumin you shoot it correctly,

in photography there are so many factors to which make a photo, in my opinion, you either have the eye for photography, or you dont...

you can always try and develop an eye for photography but it helps if it is natural to you, and dont let anyone tell you what to take a picture of,
it should be your idea, your creativity, i hate when my mum goes "oh William come here, look" then i reply "what?"
"its a little bird *laugh* that would be a good picture it is sitting on the fence"
"-.- that is too cliché and what bird doesn't perch on a fence? honestly shhh please and let me express myself through my own art"

same with my dad, i appreciate they are trying to help but it just isn't what i am interested in, my main interest is in people photography and sport and journalism (basically all point to journalism, but by people i mean high end industry fashion and the such.)

also it isn't reccommended to shoot at the lowed aperture you want, it isnt all that sharp, the sharpest apertures are usually between f/8 - f/16 (depending on lens ofcourse)

When I look at these pictures I see test shots...you say you were trying to do certain things in each picture and it appears that you got what you were attempting to get. To me it looks like you are trying to see what you and your camera can do as a learning experiment. The pictures themselves aren't very interesting to the rest of us but if they helped you get a better understanding of how your camera works and what it can do then they served their purpose.

Most reactions

Back