First time posting pics, feel free to comment

Layspeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
British Columbia, California & Philippines
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, a little background on me first. I was born in Laos, raised in California and now living in the Philippines with my wife and two kids. My wife and I decided to buy a DSLR to take some nice photos of the kids and our outings..but lately, I've been very interested in learning more about photography. I know nothing about it, but I'm trying to read up on what I can and doing some research while shooting pictures. There's lots of interesting things to take pics of here in the Philippines; the difficult part is finding the time to get out and do it. I'll probably post all of my future photos in this one thread to keep it simple...or would that be a bad idea? Well I hope you enjoy the photos, I won't bore you with too many. I am still learning to get a feel for the camera and functions. I've been shooting in Manual mode lately and I like it. I guess that's a good thing. Feel free to comment, critique, or give me your opinion. I promise I won't get hurt. :lmao: Thanks for stopping by!
- Lay

1. My daughter
32495206.jpg

2. A caterpillar and a carbage can
f1e5c00f.jpg

3. My son on his bike
5dce2beb.jpg

And a few shots from my last visit to California with my brother-in-law
4. Shooting "Duc's" :lol:
2e67374b.jpg

5. Don't forget "Safety First"
13a0fafb.jpg

6. I just like this one for some reason
20090930024.jpg

#1: i think the focus on your daughter is soft and the space on the left side does not add to the photograph....it is advisable with most portraits to move in close to the subject and focus on the eyes.

#2:i don't think the subject is in focus..unless you are shooting the leaves on the right..assuming the flowers are your focus try a different perspective ..like from the top and see what works for you.

#3:from my experience tilting a photo does not work most of the time...unless you have a good reason it's best not to try it.

#4:this is much better ...i like the use DOF (depth of field) to selectively focus on the first 'duc' ;)

#5: may you should try a different perspective i didn't realize it was about the helmet until you said it....the duc is too distracting

#6:idk...i can't tell if i like it or not....
and the best advice i got and that i will pass it on is...
kEEP SHOOTING
~cheers

Liked all of them quite a bit! Especially the bikes, though that may be some kind of bias. The background in #2 was kinda distracting to me.

<snip>
#5: may you should try a different perspective i didn't realize it was about the helmet until you said it....the duc is too distracting
<snip>

And I will always be distracted by Ducati motor bikes. :) Even when out of focus!!

Some very nice shots Lay! I especially like 1,6. As mentioned on #1 the focus is a tad on soft side but still a beautiful candid with nice DOF IMO. The extra space is nicely blurred while still maintaining good focus on your daughter. #6 is really cool. Very interesting perspective and detail on the parts! Very nice job.

Javier

White balance looks a bit too blue in #5, I like #6 the best though you could clone out the flare/spot on the edge of the tire.

Hi Lay. I'm a beginner photographer too. I find that all of your shots are a little too busy for my liking. Depth of Field was mentioned, look into that.

Thank you everyone for the comments so far, they're appreciated. :thumbup:

Rudha - I didn't realize that my daughter was slightly out of focus until I transferred the photo to my pc. The resolution of the LCD fooled me I guess :lol: Same thing happened with the caterpillar picture. Perhaps I'll try not to title them next time also. Does anyone else think titling is a bad idea?

RancerDS - I don't ride but I like motorcycles a lot. My wife says I'm wild enough on four wheels. On #3 should I have cropped out more or just tried a different background altogether? And I agree that it's hard not to notice a Ducati no matter what it looks like.

Xavi - Thanks a lot! I think my favorite is #1 because I am biased :D Now that I see it online, I wish I would have gotten her more in focus! Next time! And every time I moved to get her eyes looking at me, she would turn away. She's not as photogenic as my son who's more than willing to pose for me regardless of what he's doing. I was very surprised how #6 came out as I like looking at parts in general. And the detail is pretty nice.

fokker - yes #4 and #5 I think I tweaked the WB a little much in camera. I don't mess with Post-Processing...as I lack the skill and time. And how come I never noticed the flare up until you mentioned it? :lmao: I guess it never bothered me.

Bahandi - Thank you for you're opinion. I'll be the first to say this but a lot of my photos are "busy" because they are "snap-shots" ;) And I am practicing with depth of field so hopefully my next ones will be a little better.

But no one answered the question whether it was a good idea to keep my photos piled together on one thread or start new ones everytime I want to post?

Last edited:
no i don't think it's such a good idea.....i am sure you will be posting a lot of pics and they will be spread over lots of pages and i think people might not take the time to skim thru all of those pages....if you want to see all the threads you have started ...you can do it in your profile pages...it'sunder the Statistics tab...much simpler that way

I'd say you're off to a great start. Cute kids by the way.

Thank you very much :D

Rudha - Ok thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know about that in the profile page. And you're probably right about people not wanting to flip through pages of "stuff". Makes sense now. That's why I figured I'd ask.

mmm Ohlins :mrgreen: Now you just have to work on those chicken strips. ;) Jk.

I like the last one best, but would have been better to get the whole shock in the pic IMO.

#2 - make sure you consider your background when u shoot photos... this one is very busy, and it's hard to notice the caterpillar if it wasn't noted...

the ducati shots all look like wrong white balance...

mmm Ohlins :mrgreen: Now you just have to work on those chicken strips. ;) Jk.

I like the last one best, but would have been better to get the whole shock in the pic IMO.

I have no idea what you're talking about...I don't ride :lmao: These bikes belong to my brother-in-law and his friends. Thanks though, maybe if I get to photograph them again, I'll try some different shots with the whole shock.

syphlix
#2 - make sure you consider your background when u shoot photos... this one is very busy, and it's hard to notice the caterpillar if it wasn't noted...

the ducati shots all look like wrong white balance...

Thanks noted. I stated I thought the white balance was off. I messed with in "in camera" a little. It looked decent on the LCD though :er: I thought the caterpillar being camo was kind of cool. But it was out of focus and there was too much going on in the photo.

Most reactions

Back