First Time Self Potrait

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by DeepSpring, Jul 12, 2006.

1. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

How could i make it better next time?

2. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First, welcome - first post to critique is a confident step-well done !
    Second- Welcome flm user .
    Third - oh yes the critique. My view is offerred from someone with little photographic skill and is meant to be constructive.
    I would either zoom out to get the whole of the 'bauble/door handle' ?? into frame or more likely xoom in so that the self portrait filled more of the frame and the distracting cut off disappeared.
    I do like the imaginative way of capturing the self image and the 'mirror in a mirror' is a nice touch.

If you have a scanner and PS you could play with the cropping to see wahat looks best and then re shoot-make sure it's on thr film camera though :wink:

Hope this is useful; CJB

3. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well thank you for the welcomes and all.

Yes i have PS i'll work on cropping it a little bit. Sadly I can't re-shoot tho because that was at my uncles house in texas while i was visiting. Maybe next year lol.

And yes of course film Canon Rebel k2

4. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

The problem is inherent in the photo. You are taking a picture of the reflection off a decoration or something. These decorations aren't made to high optical quality, it's like filtering an entire photo through a piece of unpolished, dirty glass. The results aren't going to sharp or very focused

5. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey give the kid a break, maybe he just wants to have a little fun taking a photo of his view of the world. Your work suggests you have an individual view of life (good for you) so others may have different views.
    I think anyone who posts first time to the critique forum needs some constructive criticism.

Cheers CJB

6. JJP

JJP TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He asked for criticism, he got it, it's what he was looking for and everything in that post was true. I don't see the problem here.

7. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    He asked for CRITIQUE there's a difference.

8. JJP

JJP TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lol that's what I meant. ><
    But still, i'm sure the OP wouldn't want to be lied to, and would much prefer the truth, I didn't think that was harsh in the slightest. It was fair honesty if anything.

9. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Between us he's getting a lot of discussion :)

I want to see the cropped image though, I think it could look interesting. Good job people like different things.

10. tekzero

tekzero TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i agree with JJP

11. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I messed around with cropping it alittle bit and these are the best 2 i could get. [​IMG] [​IMG]

And no it's totally cool his comment about shooting through dirty class cause I'm only 16 and i want to learn. Now that it was pointed out, I'll pay more attention next time if i ever want to use a reflecting object in somehting else. I wouldn't ask for critique if all i wanted to hear was "i love it" or something like that. Just don't wanna hear it sucks. If you say it sucks and give a reason why then thats cool and I appreciate it because then I know how to improve. And since I also make movies, photographs and movies go hand in hand so whatever i learn here will help me there.

oh and about the cropping I'm leaning towards the original. Yes it is a self portrait so you would want to see me the most but to me it just looks like something is missing if you don't see the whole object.

12. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sure if he was looking for optical quality he would have used say, a mirrior? I don't think that is a problem though, the dirty glass shot, if that is a look you were going for. Thats like saying sunset silhouettes are flawed shots because of the under exposure.

Also about the crop, I think you want to show as much of whatever you were shooting as you can. since you cant reshoot, your first shot works fine. The smaller crops dont feel right, especially that last really small crop.