TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
selfportrait.jpg

How could i make it better next time?

First, welcome - first post to critique is a confident step-well done !
Second- Welcome flm user .
Third - oh yes the critique. My view is offerred from someone with little photographic skill and is meant to be constructive.
I would either zoom out to get the whole of the 'bauble/door handle' ?? into frame or more likely xoom in so that the self portrait filled more of the frame and the distracting cut off disappeared.
I do like the imaginative way of capturing the self image and the 'mirror in a mirror' is a nice touch.

If you have a scanner and PS you could play with the cropping to see wahat looks best and then re shoot-make sure it's on thr film camera though :wink:

Hope this is useful; CJB

Well thank you for the welcomes and all.

Yes i have PS i'll work on cropping it a little bit. Sadly I can't re-shoot tho because that was at my uncles house in texas while i was visiting. Maybe next year lol.

And yes of course film Canon Rebel k2

The problem is inherent in the photo. You are taking a picture of the reflection off a decoration or something. These decorations aren't made to high optical quality, it's like filtering an entire photo through a piece of unpolished, dirty glass. The results aren't going to sharp or very focused

darin3200 said:
The problem is inherent in the photo. You are taking a picture of the reflection off a decoration or something. These decorations aren't made to high optical quality, it's like filtering an entire photo through a piece of unpolished, dirty glass. The results aren't going to sharp or very focused

Hey give the kid a break, maybe he just wants to have a little fun taking a photo of his view of the world. Your work suggests you have an individual view of life (good for you) so others may have different views.
I think anyone who posts first time to the critique forum needs some constructive criticism.

Cheers CJB

skylark said:
Hey give the kid a break, maybe he just wants to have a little fun taking a photo of his view of the world. Your work suggests you have an individual view of life (good for you) so others may have different views.
I think anyone who posts first time to the critique forum needs some constructive criticism.

Cheers CJB
He asked for criticism, he got it, it's what he was looking for and everything in that post was true. I don't see the problem here.

He asked for CRITIQUE there's a difference.

Lol that's what I meant. ><
But still, i'm sure the OP wouldn't want to be lied to, and would much prefer the truth, I didn't think that was harsh in the slightest. It was fair honesty if anything.

Between us he's getting a lot of discussion :)

I want to see the cropped image though, I think it could look interesting. Good job people like different things.

I messed around with cropping it alittle bit and these are the best 2 i could get.
selfportraitcropped.jpg
selfportraitcropped2.jpg

And no it's totally cool his comment about shooting through dirty class cause I'm only 16 and i want to learn. Now that it was pointed out, I'll pay more attention next time if i ever want to use a reflecting object in somehting else. I wouldn't ask for critique if all i wanted to hear was "i love it" or something like that. Just don't wanna hear it sucks. If you say it sucks and give a reason why then thats cool and I appreciate it because then I know how to improve. And since I also make movies, photographs and movies go hand in hand so whatever i learn here will help me there.

oh and about the cropping I'm leaning towards the original. Yes it is a self portrait so you would want to see me the most but to me it just looks like something is missing if you don't see the whole object.

I'm sure if he was looking for optical quality he would have used say, a mirrior? I don't think that is a problem though, the dirty glass shot, if that is a look you were going for. Thats like saying sunset silhouettes are flawed shots because of the under exposure.

Also about the crop, I think you want to show as much of whatever you were shooting as you can. since you cant reshoot, your first shot works fine. The smaller crops dont feel right, especially that last really small crop.

xfloggingkylex said:
I'm sure if he was looking for optical quality he would have used say, a mirrior? I don't think that is a problem though, the dirty glass shot, if that is a look you were going for. Thats like saying sunset silhouettes are flawed shots because of the under exposure.

Also about the crop, I think you want to show as much of whatever you were shooting as you can. since you cant reshoot, your first shot works fine. The smaller crops dont feel right, especially that last really small crop.

The smaller crop was my suggestion, as a learning experience, OK I was wrong but I think he has found something from it (apart from 'don't listen to others' :lol: ). I actually like the larger of the two crops but that's me.

I do think that constructive critique is what belongs on this forum, shooting down in flames is never a truly succesful way of teaching people. I try to be as supportive as possible and hope this is what was achieved.
I look forward to more posts from this young man .

CJB

DeepSpring said:
I messed around with cropping it alittle bit and these are the best 2 i could get.
oh and about the cropping I'm leaning towards the original. Yes it is a self portrait so you would want to see me the most but to me it just looks like something is missing if you don't see the whole object.

Now you know what YOU are aiming for. Stick with it, some people will love it others will hate it, only you can decide if it was what you wanted.
Hope I've been of help ; CJB

Most reactions

New Topics

Back