First time shooting a model. C&C please!

RussJasper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had the chance to go out with a friend of mine for some pics. Just for practice. I don't have any lights just one speedlite. I need to pick up some better gear thats for sure.

I'd dig #1 a lot more if you had the ability to toss some more light on her face. She seems to be fading into shadow a bit the farther you go up her body. Erm. . .

#3. . .I can see where this one was going. . .ok I'mma stop myself mid sentence - you know what these needs - shallower depth of field. Those backgrounds are too exciting, so just crunch them out with physics and optics. I think thats what is throwing me off here.

Also, take that sucker into Photoshop or Lightroom (depending on your comfort level) and get the white in her t-shirt in those indoor shots back.

I think the last one is the strongest of the bunch. The first a like, but it's a little too much of a crotch shot for my liking. This type of pose can work without out coming out as a crotch shot, but I don't feel like it worked in this case. I think it's the boots/society's fault.

Had the chance to go out with a friend of mine for some pics. Just for practice. I don't have any lights just one speedlite. I need to pick up some better gear thats for sure.

Really like all of the shots composition. Gorgeous model, just need to work on the lighting a bit.
I did a little touching up real quick in Viveza on one of the photos, hope you dont mind. I'm still learning this new program.

4087694760_e4f1f3cb2e_bcopy.jpg

Too much. The best way is to fade the filter that has been applied here, so that the imperfections just barely peek through. Theres no texture on the lass (plus whatever technique has been used her is mucking up the young ladies shirt).

No filter. It's control points, you place a control point on lets say, the forehead, and then you adjust the brightness, contrast, and saturation. I placed three on her face (forehead, nose, chin). Then duplicated them for the arm (3 again). Then I did two on her shirt to keep the shirt consistent with the lighting on her face (lighting hitting her left cheek). So it would be natural for the light to hit everything on the open air side and fade darker towards the wall.

Excellent use of the Viveza Control Point technology by Dominantly.

The model looks like Laura Prepon, which is good! I liked the first and the fourth shots the most. Pretty good for a first time effort, really.

Technically thats still a filter, and you should (or at least any good effect program should) be able to fade any filter/layer/affect that has been stacked on top of the original image.

This effect reminds me of the anti-noise filters/apps that folks use; the blur becomes too aggressive and mottles with a consistent uninterrupted texture.

Excellent use of the Viveza Control Point technology by Dominantly.

009.gif
This is going to get sad before it gets. . .hilarious.

Technically thats still a filter, and you should (or at least any good effect program should) be able to fade any filter/layer/affect that has been stacked on top of the original image.

This effect reminds me of the anti-noise filters/apps that folks use; the blur becomes too aggressive and mottles with a consistent uninterrupted texture.
I think there is a balance between being too soft, and not enhanced enough. Makeup, glamor lighting, post processing, all there to enhance the models skin and features, showing not what they truly look like, but the perfect image of what the client wants them to be. Things like glamor glow, skin softening, denoise, all can be used to enhance skin texture the same way other controls can be used to enhance color and lighting.

Does this look more like what you had in mind? This has no clarity enhancements of any kind.
noise.jpg

Here is my version. Wish I had the raw file. I could made this WAY better. Let me know what you think.

Started with a guassian blur, then used overlay. Then turned down the opacity almost all the way. Then I brightened the white in her eyes. Lightened up her eyes for more color. Then some clone stamping on the face. And finished with a little airbrushing.

girlfinished.jpg

The Clone is a bit visible over where her scar once was, and I think her face might still be a bit underexposed.
For ****s and giggles try out this program here and see what you can do with it and it's intuitive layer masking (control points).. Free for 15days..
Nik Software, Inc. | Viveza

I like the pose for the shots in #2 & #5, with the pose in #2 seeming the most natural. #3 keeps throwing me off as to whether it was shot in portrait or landscape orientation (because of the neutral/unfocused background?). #1 was framed well and used great depth of field. Pose in #4 seemed rather challenging (perfume ad type?) in that you want to either retreat in intimidation or grab them up for a good-n-tight hug.

The work does look very good overall. :)

Great advice, guys!! I need to pay more attention to my lighting. Will go home and try to re-edit some of these.

I was shooting in RAW and was adjusting the white balance after the fact for the most part. the indoor shots because of wall colour and lighting were all really warm and all that concrete outside was super cool so it was hard to keep it consistant without having some look way different than the rest.

Need moar lighting.

And it looks like your lens may be front focusing. What gear? There's quite a bit that have a soft model, but the portion of the frame directly in front of her is sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back