First time shooting people (my sister pregnancy)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by matt62485, Jan 17, 2010.

1. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well my sister is in her last couple weeks of her pregnancy and my mom wanted some pictures of her. I took her and her husband to the beach for a few shots. Never done potraits before so I was really nervous. Please C&C, it started raining so we only had about 15 minutes to work with :confused:

oh yea. the horizon is slanted in #4. I caught it... but it'll be ok for now:thumbup:

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Was she wearing alot of makeup or is that a skin smoothing technique? If its the latter, then tone it down a tad. I like your ideas on these photos, even if somewhat "played" but its your first time, so good job! Just keep in mind to try new things sometimes! (coming from the most "I don't like to try new things" type of person youll ever meet!)

They are all a TINY bit dark and flat for my personal taste, but the overcast sky really helped your light fall evenly which is quite complimentary for your photos.

#3 could have truly benefited from a fill flash.

Overall, good work for your first try! keep at it.

3. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no skin smoothing and she really doesnt wear a lot of make up. fairly fair skinned but she has that tone to her face.

i had plan to try some other things but it began to rain and she was getting cold... wind had picked up and temp dropped 10+deg F in a matter of 30 minutes. lol.

thanks. I had just got my flash as well and wasn't comfortable enough to use it and waste time. I'll try it next time!

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1 on the flash for #3, and I would have gotten lower on the perspective. I realize you needed to get the name in the sand in the frame, but I just don't prefer the position you were shooting from.

I just don't think the pose on #5 goes well with a pregnant woman, JMO. Focus point is not on her face.

If you didn't go with a softening technique on #1 then you definitely missed the focus or there is an issue with your camera's focus/lens. The image while not blurry, is very very soft, especially compared to #2.

Something about #4 is wrong with the skin tones/lighting, though I just cannot put my finger on it. It's almost as if the lighting is so flat that there is no contrast or definition on their faces.

#2 is the best of the series IMO.

5. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    meh, i fail. :blushing:

i got a little lower but missed the shot terribly, was in too much of a rush since the rain was starting. #5 didnt come out exactly like i wanted but i still liked it nonetheless. perhaps not the best angle.

#1 im sure i missed the focus, i was trying to shoot w/ my 50mm/1.8 and just cant get that damn thing to focus to save my life since it wont auto on my d40... I'm having a very hard time with that lens :confused:

#4 is an issue from my PP i believe, i tried to add a little fill flash PP style and i think i fubared it

thanks, i like #2 the best as well

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you using the focus assist dot in the D40s viewfinder? It will tell you when you have nailed the focus.

7. matt62485

matt62485 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yep. and its very very finicky with that lens. even when it says its in focus, i swear its not 100% accurate. i have no issues w/ my 18-55 or 55-200, i hope its not a problem with the lens. which i dont believe it is.

i honestly think she may have swayed a little, it was kind of windy and she was freezing. i hope thats the problem.