First Time Shooting Raw and Portraits. CC

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Geaux, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Geaux

Geaux No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    7/24/2010 **EDIT** Added 4 New Shots in later post.

It's been a little bit since I've been on here ... Well, here is my story: A friend of mine asked me to do their engagement shots for them since I'm starting to get into photography (..though I REALLY think it's because I'll be free lol), but before our "appointment" on Sunday, I wanted to get out and practice. Grabbed my wife up and said, "You're going to be my model for a day!" lol. Well, here is... My first attempt at shooting in Raw and Portraits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have a bunch of photos to touch up, but here are the first three. I wanted to get opinions on the shots or touchups before I moved on to the others. Thanks for looking :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They are some good photo's number 2 is my favorite. I'm not sure about the first one I would probably crop it somehow but I can't quite put my finger on it. I plaid with the first one a little and here's what I did.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. IceEateer

IceEateer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Stylish girl. Weird composition. Tighter Crop.

[​IMG]

2. Not bad. Maybe tilt a few more degrees clockwise to emphasize the diagonal.

3. Terrible. Looks like she's dropping a deuce.

4. BekahAura

BekahAura TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1) I like the tighter crop posted, but I don't really like the expression on her face. It looks like you were caught with your camera by a stranger, kind of like "what are you doing?"

2) Beautiful, I really love this shot!

3) I liked it a lot before the "dropping a deuce" comment lol, maybe you can crop it just below her arms? Eh, leave it alone, I really like the dirty background and you wouldn't see the floor if you cropped.

Great job on these! I love your wife's style, specifically the red shoes and red lipstick.

5. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    She looks like a Natural! :) I don't like the crop eliminating the lion statues head...but a crop *would* work for it...just not *that* much..imo. Nice pics, think you did very well.

6. Geaux

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input! I kind of like #1 with the tighter crop (not the other one bc I'm unsure why you would crop out the Lion in the picture...) , but I also like the wider shot of the lion .. but thanks for making me look at it in a different perspective :)

As for #2, it was one of my favorite shots of the afternoon! Thanks for the input. IMO, there isn't much I would do differently on this shot.

#3 and the "deuce" comment .... I don't think it's "Terrible" nor the other comment you made. It's one of my wife's favorite shots b/c of the trashy look on the ground and graffiti on the walls, along with the pose. I like the contrast of trash vs glam kinda thing, so a crop below the elbows wouldn't really work for me.

Keep em coming! I'll put more on here as I finish editing them ;)

7. edouble

edouble TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice! Did you use on camera flash or off camera flash?

8. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Cutting the lion head is a good thing I think unless you want Beauty and the Beast theme LOL.

#2 is your best shot.
    #3 if I work for a photo fashion company, I probably edit the shoe on the right to make it look more fit.

9. Geaux

Photos OK to edit

Unfortunately, it was the on camera flash, but I was satisfied with it's fill flash capabilities. SB600 is in my future, but not at the moment lol.

Other info on the shoot: It was shot between 6:45-7:50PM. Would have liked to get out earlier for more daylight (...and less mosquitoes lol), but the wife took RIDICULOUSLY long to get ready lol.

AHHHHH, didn't even notice that!! I bet it's the way she's sitting that makes the shoes bow out like that.

10. subscuck

subscuck No longer a newbie, moving up!

Illinois, where even the dead get to vote
    Photos OK to edit
    That's the only thing I've ever found on camera flash useful for. In the right situation, it works well.

That's a given :lol:

If you do this well for your friends, they will be most pleased. Good shots, I like them all.

11. Geaux

Photos OK to edit
    lol, Thanks. I'm hoping I can pull off the same for my friends, even I would be pleased lol

12. NWK04

NWK04 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I like them all. On the third shot you could maybe have her extend one leg out while she's down in that position.

Good job!