First Time Shooting Skating. I Need Tips!

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so over the past couple of days, I have started to shoot for a local skate team. I personally have never skated (I ride BMX ahah) so I have NO idea what I'm doing. SO any tips from people who have shot skating in the past or just people with knowledge in that field are more than welcome. Tear my **** apart. Seriously. Don't worry about my feelings ahaha.

--------
Pop Shuvit

4342880750_2e2075fc4a_b.jpg

-------
Kickflip down a 13 Stair

Strobist:
Canon 430EZ barebulb subject left, 1/4 power

(I'd prefer the focus of critique to not be on the lighting in this picture.. I already know that it was no good. I didn't bring my other strobes that day.)

4333255233_7ab558c92e_b.jpg

Off and on camera lighting are mandatory for skate photography.

I run an SB600 on camera with another off to one side, gives great light with excellent contrast.

Here's an example.
196.jpg

first photo has good light, flash would have helped the skater "pop" more. The crop is too tight and the overall comp is just kind of blehhh

once again, good light on the second one, crop is too tight again. Make sure you can see some of the start up and some of the landing in just about ALL of your skate photos. and also tell the filmer to get the eff out of your shot. for the second one I would have taken a couple steps to the right and a couple back. You framed him good in the sky though...

and about that picture kegger posted. NEVER cut off parts of someones body.

all in all you did very well for your first shoots.

I've only shot once in a skate park. I'd say a wide angle lens will be very helpful.

When I shot mine, I only had a manual focus set up. There was no way I can keep up with the action, so I just aimed my lens at one spot with the focus set up and wait for the action to get there. I managed to get some good shots out of that. I think this will be better than trying to AF even if you have a fast lens, reason being you will plan for your shot and not simply making candid images.

Another tip is, be brave and get down there! You need to communicate with the skaters what routine they will do next. Have them do it once first and then plan what you need to do to get a good shot. You then just stay put at your ideal spot with the camera ready to click, and trust your skater that he's not going to roll into you. It worked out well for me even though I was shooting kids who probably is much less experienced than the teens.

The last advice I have for you is, don't look at your LCD. Just shoot away. If you keep looking at your preview, you will miss the night.

Here are my skate park shots if you are interested:
Brook Run Skate Park pictures by molested_cow - Photobucket
( I admit that some of the post processing is over done, but I managed to get some good compositions because I planned for them.)

Most reactions

Back