First Time Shooting Sports

Knawx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never shot sports before, I don't have the proper lens to do so, however I was shooting footage at a local NBA D-League game for my job, and thought I would try taking some still shots while I was there.

I shot these with my Canon 10-22mm 3.5 - 4.5 wide angle. Any feedback would be great, along with lens suggestions for future purchase. Thanks guys.

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Overall decent shots. 2 is a good capture. If it's cropped, I'd like to see more of the guy on the right. 3 doesn't do much for me. I'd have left the colors intact. 4 tells a good story. 5 could use more cropping. I'd like to see the hoop in 6. Can't help much with the lens purchase as I'm a n00bie as well.

They seem a bit dark to me, and I'm not too keen on the selective saturation in number 3, but you got some good action capture in the last two.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the selective color image was done by request... I was also against it, and I'm glad you support my thoughts on it as well. lol

As for cropping, i'm a bit torn... on one hand I want to see the subject up close and personal, but on the other hand I like how "big" the images feel..... i'll have to tool around with them a bit more.

Also, the images don't look dark on my computer, or my computers at work... but they are all LED's which are super bright to begin with, so maybe I will brighten them up a bit.

Does the vignette work??Not for me

There's quite alot of empty spaces
If you look at people at sportsshooters or fredmiranda,their pictures are cropped very tightly unless the background has some meaning or they are trying to show the scale of the human and the BG,but there's not much reasons IMO to leave so much spaces

Does the vignette work??Not for me

There's quite alot of empty spaces
If you look at people at sportsshooters or fredmiranda,their pictures are cropped very tightly unless the background has some meaning or they are trying to show the scale of the human and the BG,but there's not much reasons IMO to leave so much spaces

I have to disagree with your opinion on the vignetting. I think it helps draw the eye to the subject, but I certainly appreciate the feedback regardless.

Also, the reason people at sportsshooters or fredmiranda crop their images tightly is because they have the proper lens that allows the image quality to do so.... mine would be blurry and noisy... :lol:

After all, these shots were taken with a ultra wide 10-22mm lens, with no Image Stabilizer, and an aperture that only goes to 3.5 which meant most shots were taken at a high ISO and a 1/120 shutter speed which is much too slow for sports. Needless to say, I learned many things from trying this. Mainly, I need a new lens... lol

Most reactions

Back