First time shooting sports

MSnowy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
went to the local high school today to try some baseball pictures D60 nikon 70mm-300mm
rockland_pitch.jpg

rockland_catcher.jpg

rocland_2nd.jpg

1 - love it!

2 - is ok, but try to shot from first or third base to get some faces in there.

3 - It's nice. Looks a little soft but can't tell with small pic.

All and all, great first time out!

1 - love it!

2 - is ok, but try to shot from first or third base to get some faces in there.

3 - It's nice. Looks a little soft but can't tell with small pic.

All and all, great first time out!

thanks,
#2 I was focusing on the lefty catcher's mitt, I was only there for an inning next time if I have time I'll move around more

I like #1 the dirt by his back foot gives this picture movement with the rest of it being frozen! Nice

Pretty good. The 70-300 VR lens is sweet for the price. I used to have one myself. I used it alot to shoot soccer.

Leave some room in front of your subjects, whether you crop the photo or not. It makes the photo a bit more dynamic and keeps from leading the viewer's eye out of the photo to soon. We all tend to look where someone else is looking, even if it's just a photo.

The holy grail of sports photography is faces, emotion, and action.

#1 personifies all 3. With some room in front of him in the image he has room to follow through adding that little extra dynamic to the photo.

#2, wrong side. Makes a neat shot if done from the center field fence though. (I use 500 mm from there.)

#3. Having the D-lighting option turned on whould have helped this shot of the subjects being basically backlit and having hard shadows on their faces. Unfortunately the D-lighting function really slows down the write to the memory card speed.

I'd guess you know the player wearing #10.

Pretty good. The 70-300 VR lens is sweet for the price. I used to have one myself. I used it alot to shoot soccer.

Leave some room in front of your subjects, whether you crop the photo or not. It makes the photo a bit more dynamic and keeps from leading the viewer's eye out of the photo to soon. We all tend to look where someone else is looking, even if it's just a photo.

The holy grail of sports photography is faces, emotion, and action.

#1 personifies all 3. With some room in front of him in the image he has room to follow through adding that little extra dynamic to the photo.

#2, wrong side. Makes a neat shot if done from the center field fence though. (I use 500 mm from there.)

#3. Having the D-lighting option turned on whould have helped this shot of the subjects being basically backlit and having hard shadows on their faces. Unfortunately the D-lighting function really slows down the write to the memory card speed.

I'd guess you know the player wearing #10.

Thanks, no idea who #10 is. I was only there for 6 batters. I don't see many left handed catchers so i focused on his setup

#1 is great!!! I love the color and the sharpness of the subject.

Love the 1st one!

#2... The umpire's butt is barely touching the edge. Makes the pic very uncomfortable.

#2... Try to take this one when the ball has already been thrown and is 3/4 of the way to the plate. That way the batter and catcher are more focused on the ball.

My other comments have all been said by others.

I really like #1.

I agree with SwissJ about the umpire's butt.

#3 is unfortunate that the player's uniform/helmet is the same color as the outfield wall. That's a bit distracting.

Good luck.

thanks everyone for looking

Number 1 is great, I like the effort showing on the pitcher's face. Nice action in the dirt too.

I like number two, if only for that left-handed catcher. Don't see too many of those! :lol:

Most reactions

Back