First Time SLR Buyer. :S Scared to death.

gunar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay. So here's the deal.

I have $1000 to spend.
I have NO clue what to get. :confused:

I need an SLR. This could take up the entire $1000, or only some.

I dropped my FZ28 and completely destroyed the lens. :grumpy: And I'm thinking it's time to step up from a a superzoom with PASM to a real SLR.

I really don't have any specific needs. I just want it to be fast, and have great image quality.

But I was thinking... Maybe get a less expensive starter DSLR and a lens or two? I LOVED how I could focus at 1cm with mm FZ28, I'd probably die with out a macro lens. :)

So. Can anyone help me out here?
A camera and a lens or two and any necessary accessories for ≤$1000.

Thanks so much. Any input is amazing.
-Gunar

if you had FZ28, then i don't understand how come you not know what you need already..
i would advice not to buy a camera for a few weeks, but read, read, read and read again.
you should read books about photography, you should read forums, magazines, reviews.. you must go look for different cameras in your local store, or at BH.. you must know the choice of accessories and other stuff..

but since you "don't have any specific needs", i think anybody would agree that latest Nikon will be the best possible choice.

I would do a bit of research. Theres a plethora of options that you can explore. All sorts of body and lens combos. Are you going for the cheap body expensive lens option or vice versa? What are you wanting to do with your dslr?

maybe the d80 w/ 50mm 1.8?

I would look for a used D90 kit...with the 18-105VR. Used you might get it close to around 1,000. Then pick up a Canon 250d/500d lens for the front of your 18-105VR when you save up some money....this will get you in close for those macro shots for around 100ish bucks. Then when you can afford it, pick up a 50mm f1.8.

Or you could get a d5000 kit with 35mm f1.8 and still have a little left to put toward a macro like the Tamron 90mm f2.8. However, the D5000 has a lot of limiting factors that would prevent me from wanting one...mainly the lack of wireless flash abilities, the in camera focusing motor, and the extra command dials for quickly changing settings....oh yeah, and the top screen for settings, smaller less crystal clear LCD screen and smaller viewfinder. All of those make the D90 worth the extra cash in my opinion. (There are more..but those are the main ones that would effect me.)

Honestly..
I'm not going to tell you which camera to get, you can do the research for yourself and decide

i think a better question you should have asked is "what should i look for before buying a camera?"

ISO performance,
Lens Availability
Lens costs
Highest lowest ISO
AF Motors
Menu design
feel of the body
Accessories availability
Upgrade possibilities

then start reading how to use a camera etc...

Thanks for all the advice. :D

I was thinking....
Nikon D40 & 50mm f/1.4
or
Sony A230 & 50mm f/1.4 & 55-200mm f/4-f/5.6

I borrowed a friends D60 for a week, and I loved how intuitive it was, and how it was great for a noob like me, recommending the flash in dark, or telling me to raise the ISO. But I LOVE the new menus on the Sony with the little pictures to explain shutter speed and aperture and how it helps you out.

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but 6 megapixels just is starting to seem like nothing. :| *Cough* D40 *Cough* Just viewing them on my screen in Firefox. They're some beautiful images, but I click on it to enlarge it and it gets like 20% bigger. So yeahhhh.

I've also heard the Sony can be used with older Minolta lenses which can be found for low prices.
--
Okay. Bleh. I've been looking around and reading a TON of reviews. I'm going to go with the new Sony a230. [I do not think it's ugly. And I have small hands!]

But could someone help me with choosing the lens(es)? Do I need filters? I heard its best to buy a new strap.

(Hah. This post is all over the place.)
But once again. Thanks. [:

well it sounds like you know what you want so just get it! If you need a macro lens research that, but I have been told by a owner of a sony that lenses are hard to find for a cheap price. Sony almost always needs sony lenses. you really dont have many options unlike Nikon and canon! That is what I have found during my research. For my nikon I can get Nikkor or Nikon lenses dating back to the late 70s for cheap and they will work fine!

But wait.
If I had to choose one lens or the other.

Do you recommend the 50mm f/1.4 or the telephoto?

Thanks! :D [And doesn't Tamron and a few others make Sony mount lenses?]

d40 bad mmmk

I just got the Canon Rebel Xti, I was told by a close friend to only get a Canon, but I guess that is all personal preferance. for a $1000, you can get a great starter's kit which comes with body, lenses, carring bag and a bunch of other stuff. They have really great deals HERE

Go with the Canon. You will be very happy with the quality.
Pick up a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens for $97.00.
You could get a 3 pack of Kenko extension tubes for $160.00 and get in real close attached to the Canon lenses mentioned.
I have to agree with the poster that mentioned doing research. It really depends on what you like to photograph and how much you are willing to learn.
A site with good review info is Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great advice! :D

I'm pretty sure I'm going to with a Sony A230.

I was going to buy the remote, a 50/1.4, and a 55-200/4-5.6.

Is there anything else that's ESSENTIAL that I need to get? :) [I have a tripod.]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back