First time trying to post a photo

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by whyknows, Apr 21, 2010.

1. whyknows

whyknows TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello, this ismy first time trying to post photos... I really liked the contrast with the black fence and the rust on the chain. I bought a set of macro filters and this is my first try at macro, I was kind of excited to see how it came out. I am a brand new photographer and would love your feedback.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At first I thought: "Hang on, this IS NO maco-photo!", but then I scrolled and sure enough, there is one.

So posting the photos went well, they show, I can see them ... and I think those contrasts between black fence and rusty chain could be brought out even MORE. Particularly as it were the CONTRASTS you liked so, and this photo is lacking a little in those with regards to the technique. I take it you are posting a SOOC-photo (straight out of camera), no post processing applied? But the first asks for some pp. I can hear it!

As you can see, maco (more so with filters, I guess) gives you a very shallow DOF (depth of field) only, which I find a tad distracting here. The effect is almost like a lensbaby effect (a lensbaby is a special lens ... that I can't describe just now). I usually find it a bit strenuous on my eyes, but they are only mine. Others might like this a lot.

3. whyknows

whyknows TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for all your great information!! It IS straight out of the camera, I JUST bought Adobe Photo Shop and loaded it last night. I am going to try to work on the contrast :) I have been watching how to do touch ups on youtube, so I sort of have an idea on what to do. If I get an improvement, I will post it. Thanks again so much for your feedback!

4. SwissJ

SwissJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Macro pictures of rust are great cause when you zoom in so close, it takes on such different qualities than what many people normally associate with metal. Almost a moist living quality.

If your interest is the contrast between the chain and the fence, how about shooting some macros trying to capture these differences... Not only color-wise, but texture-wise, taste-wise etc.
    I'm a sucker for DOF, and I like the second shot, but after reading your description, I'm disappointed in the fence losing attention.

5. whyknows

whyknows TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the weather holds out this weekend, I would like to try the shot again. We are extremely novices with photography, and I would like to try to play around with the aperture settings and try to open up my DOF, to make the rust and fence stand out a little more. I will have to do quite a bit of research before we go to know what changes I need to make with the camera. Will this EVER come second nature? :lol:

6. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What camera and lens are you using?

Have you glanced over the camera manual yet?

Remember, bright outdoor sunlight is not necessarily a photographer's friend. ;)

7. whyknows

whyknows TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a NIKON D90, and the lens is 18-200. I have read through the manual, watched videos on you tube, and bought a book specifically for the D90. It is all very confusing with aperture, f stops, shutter speed. We have taken some VERY basic classes at our local camera shop and are voraciously reading and watching everything and anything to learn more. One a scale of 1 - 10 we are at 1 with our knowledge. LOL