First time with a human against the velvet

rufus5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toddmckimmey.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My daughter was patient enough with me today to sit in my makeshift studio. Naturally, she wanted to look at the big shiny box and not the camera. This was shot with a 580exII through a lumiquest softbox (really close to her face, unfortunately, and still ends up with tiny catch lights). Obviously the hair's a problem and I definitely need something in the realm of a kicker/hairlight. Needed a wider aperture as well.

Thoughts and further c&c are greatly appreciated.

zoe_headshot_8x10.jpg

A hair light would have been perfect.
Why do you say you needed a wider aperture?
Very nice image.
Hilary

What would you be requiring oof in this to need a wider aperture, also the closer the light source the softer the light, apart from the hair light issue IMO its a decent portrait, A reflector to bounce some into the left/face/chin area would not go amiss too. H

I was using a reflector, unfortunately, it's not that great of one and I don't have a stand (she was also moving around!). Definitely a problem, thanks.

It doesn't show as much here due to the size, but her left eye is OOF.

Last edited:

It doesn't show as much here due to the size, but her left eye is OOF.
If that's the case, you would need to close the lens down.

My question is, did you get more shots of her while you had the opportunity?:lol:

Sorry, that's what I meant. I know what I needed to do but the backwards math still comes out sometimes.

I did, but this was definitely the only one close to a keeper. She's just too active.

Most reactions

Back