first time with action shot C&C

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
couple of our pups playing. d40 w/ 55-200vr. first time trying to shoot movement this fast. please C&C but understand!

dogs13.jpg

dogs2.jpg

dogs21.jpg

dogs9.jpg

I like the first and second one, the 2nd one being my favorite I think. The truck in the background on the third shot and the dogs being cut off at the abdomen in the fourth ruin those shots for me. You've got something with the first two though. Too bad that the sun wasn't a little brighter and the grass a little greener - but we have no control over that do we?

Cheers!
- Dan

thanks man. cloudy cold day, and middle of winter so dead grass! ofcourse they had to play there in front of the jeep! and honestly, the 4th one im not used to shooting with a 55-200 and i didnt take into account i could only come out so far before needing to step back, so they got cut off

itll come with time though

Good job with the composition in #1 and #2 :) Good job also with the shutter speed and "freezing" the motion going on here. The whites seem to be a little on the blue side... I'm guessing that has to do with the white balance, but I'm still learning about that so I'm not completely sure :lol: If you have Photoshop, you can just desaturate the blues and that will take care of it really easily :) Good job with these, keep it up!

Like #1 & #2 the best also.
Was looking at the exif and saw you shot these
in manual mode.
Wish I was that far along in the learning curve.
Craig.:sexywink:

...itll come with time though

:thumbup: Right on buddy! I'm learning as I go as well!! Cheers!!

yea man goodluck to you as well!

Good job with the composition in #1 and #2 :) Good job also with the shutter speed and "freezing" the motion going on here. The whites seem to be a little on the blue side... I'm guessing that has to do with the white balance, but I'm still learning about that so I'm not completely sure :lol: If you have Photoshop, you can just desaturate the blues and that will take care of it really easily :) Good job with these, keep it up!

thanks man. good call, im not keen enough yet to notice everything and white balance is one of my downfalls. im learning though. ill tweak with them some more in PSP. :thumbup:

Like #1 & #2 the best also.
Was looking at the exif and saw you shot these
in manual mode.
Wish I was that far along in the learning curve.
Craig.:sexywink:

appreciate it!

yea ive been shooting most everything in manual lately. i use AP, SP occasionally but 95% of the time i try to use manual so i'll learn from my mistakes and get better at on the fly type stuff.

Its a tricky distance for the first few times, but you seem to be getting the hang of it pretty quickly. I really like these! Keep practice and posting!

thanks! its definitely a challenge, but i like it. i want to get to a point i feel comfortable enough itll be beneficial to step up to a new body.

Yeah, well remember, your D40 can handle it, its not too much glass for a little camera. It may be little, but it can definetly hold its own!

3 Just dzn't do anything - messy background and the black one is in an unnatural position.. (?)... :lol:

The rest are actually very good !! The subject of the pictures are the dogs, so ....... crop, crop and crop.. too much grass - with the exception of #4 - I actually like the dead space to the top left - the direction they're looking.. everything in that photo leads you into the direction they're concentrating on.. makes you wonder what captivates them so much..

Focus is right on, and I think you nailed the movement.. Good job ! :thumbup:

r

great dogs and great pics.. i like their faces in number 4 .. i would have cropped that one... to get rid of the background ...

3 Just dzn't do anything - messy background and the black one is in an unnatural position.. (?)... :lol:

The rest are actually very good !! The subject of the pictures are the dogs, so ....... crop, crop and crop.. too much grass - with the exception of #4 - I actually like the dead space to the top left - the direction they're looking.. everything in that photo leads you into the direction they're concentrating on.. makes you wonder what captivates them so much..

Focus is right on, and I think you nailed the movement.. Good job ! :thumbup:

r

well the rotty loves to jump, he is very active and i had a hard time getting him in full air like that and i finally did and low and behold the jeep! i couldnt help the background. i think if i had been panning a little faster and the background wouldve been more desired it wouldve been a lot better.

thanks for the compliments!

great dogs and great pics.. i like their faces in number 4 .. i would have cropped that one... to get rid of the background ...

thanks! think so? ill play with it later maybe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back