First time with birds in flight

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Dominantly, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have never tried to capture birds in flight before, but decided I would head down to the water and maybe give it a shot.
    Some things I noticed was in 3D AF tracking the camera was being difficult with keeping the birds in focus. I set the camera up to single point, continuous focus, center weighted metering for the follow on shots to get them to work a bit better.
    This ended up being easier to focus, but I found that with trying to focus on them and their flight paths, I often had them dead center of the frame, or leading out (which I know is not correct).
    It was fun though and I've sure people probably enjoyed watching me whip around trying to keep these things in frame with their irregular flight paths :lol:

I used the 55-200mm VR lens for the shots BTW. I'm sure there is better glass, this is just all I had one me at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. His eye really popped
    [​IMG]

7. Just for fun, this shows how that setup was able to distinguish between the background and bird.
    [​IMG]

C&C Welcome... Maybe some hints on technique.

2. lvcrtrs

lvcrtrs TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey, for your first go round I think you did good. You got them and they in pretty good focus, good for you. I found the 3D tracking challening as well with BIF. I pretty much used the forum feedback and have gone to center focus point. I like #1 because of the light on his underside showing his feather and color detail.