First time with flash for portraits C&C please

::trainwreck::

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This weekend I experimented with using an off camera flash. I'm still practicing with it and trying to get right, but here were some of the better pictures. C&C would be much appreciated.

102nsb8.jpg

2ur59v6.jpg

2cqi4a0.jpg

# 3 looks great, excellent contrast IMO

1&2 not too bad, would really concentrate on getting sharp focus on the eyes (can only really tell at full scale). Eyes are the first thing I am usually drawn to in a portrait.

# 3 looks great, excellent contrast IMO

1&2 not too bad, would really concentrate on getting sharp focus on the eyes (can only really tell at full scale). Eyes are the first thing I am usually drawn to in a portrait.

i agree with everything he said

The background cloning work you did in the upper right hand side of the first photo looks poorly executed to me. What-was there a duck on the water or something behind her? Overall these look pretty good for your first time using this technique.

The background cloning work you did in the upper right hand side of the first photo looks poorly executed to me. What-was there a duck on the water or something behind her?

Hahaha, I'm really glad you pointed that out. Actually, there were some really obnoxious tree vines hanging down that i tried to clone out. Now that I'm on a better computer i can see this.

Good shots! I like her natural smiles, good luck with the flash!! Have a lot of fun!

I think they are alright in my opinion. Nikon's flash metering is always very reliable. Gets good results almost all the time. You mentioned off-camera flash, hmm, the Nikon D60 has no commander mode to control remote flash units... What were you using? SU-800 commanding SB-600/800/900?

Or you attach a flash unit using remote sync cable?

Maybe it would have been better to leave those obnoxious vines in the frame; the dappled highlights in her hair camera right were created by the vines probably, or the tree above her. Maybe the vines would have added symmetry for the tree branch in the upper left hand corner of the first photo? Just a thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back