First time with kids (C&C Please!!!!)

MarkV1184

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spent a day at my cousin's home and took some pictures of her two year old. These pictures are straight from the camera, "candid", and were shot with a 50mm prime lens, so I apologize for decapitating his head in a few shots. The lighting was extremely harsh and I was quickly moving through shade and bright sunlight in order to capture these shots, so the WB may be off. Please give me C&C on how to post process these! It was my first time shooting in RAW format.

3716512523_683c61a0ee.jpg

3717323622_94c7bd4fb4.jpg

3716510451_2763952c74.jpg

3716509487_16a73a57f0.jpg

If you can keep a 2 year olds attention for more than five minutes, you are doing well. :D Depending on your camera, if you must switch from sunlight to shade in such a time frame, maybe you can set it to AUTO white balance.

If you can keep a 2 year olds attention for more than five minutes, you are doing well. :D Depending on your camera, if you must switch from sunlight to shade in such a time frame, maybe you can set it to AUTO white balance.

Yeah keeping his attention for more than 5 seconds was extremely difficult. I had to chase him around with my fastest lens all afternoon. As far as the white balanced, I was getting different effects from the shade/sunlight settings and could not decide which was doing the job better based on my camera's LCD... so I think I ended up just keeing it on AWB which could have caused some of the color loss and washed out appearance.

More C&C please! 66 views and only one response? Even if it is as simple as "hate it" or "love it", I would really appreciate/want the C&C.

my favourite is the first one but would have been better if no one was behind him, i'm destracted by the green singlet. I also love #3.
Can really say more as i'm just new into photography.

i like number 3, has a nice photojournalist style to it...makes me wonder if he is going to ask the older gentleman to play with him. shooting kids is hard so you get props for getting in focus pictures i think!

More C&C please! 66 views and only one response? Even if it is as simple as "hate it" or "love it", I would really appreciate/want the C&C.

LOL, it's a tough crowd here.
Sometimes it's good to wait a week and post the same pictures in a new thread. :D

#3 is my favorite of them all. The guy in the background ruined it though. Maybe if he was more to the left or the right. Away from the kidlet.

One of the best books about Photographing children that I ever had, was if I remember correctly at 80 years, was written by a man named Josef Schneider. Did a search on the Internet and found a link with used books. Some first editions for $75, but IMO would be well worth it if you plan a business shooting children. Some are $5 to $20 maybe not in as good conditions, but a great bargain... for those who may be shooting relatives or their own children. There also may be other bargains available at Amazon used books or Half Bay, owned by eBay. TO me it was priceless at the time, the best book on Photography I ever bought.

josef schneider: child photography - AbeBooks

Used his ideas for years and it resulted in some fantastic portraits, won contests with them. One won the NE Professional Photog competition.

It has been out of print for decades I bought it in the 50's, but you may also find one in a good Library.

Used to always shoot them in their own home, the best place as they are more secure there. One idea I used that _always_ got a good smile. Had a bulb release and would hole the bulb out to them asking them to hold the "ball." But would hold the tube stretching it with my hand in front of my face. Then, Id let it go so it hit my hand and Id catch it. It looked like it hit me in the face. Id jerk as if it had. They would laugh a little then smile. Id catch that smile it was always a good one and natural...

Sometimes Id ask if they knew my name, when they said no, Id say "My name is peanut butter" all kids like it and itd break the ice. Get a nice smile. Then Id say did you know my wifes name is Jelly? Another smile, and then Peanut Butter and Jelly go together... Be silly with youngsters, but with things that make sense and you get good shots.

Would also bring with me, toys they might not have seen, like little footballs, dolls, Barbie's, trucks, Train Engines, tools that would fit their hands. Moms like the shots of their son holding a shiny new wrench, etc.

Thanks RJohnston! I'm definitely going to check that book out! I'm not sure I plan on professionally trying to shoot kids (I'm much more of a landscape person), but I sure would love to improve in all areas!

#3 is definitely your best shot, congrats on keeping his attention as well
clear.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back