First time with Lightning

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a storm heading out way last night, so I grabbed the camera and played a bit. This is the best I came up with. I know I could have done better. Anyone got any lightning capturing tips? I was going with long exposures, but not sure if that's the ideal technique or not.

IMGP2040.jpg

def great first attempt!
i would crop the **** out of that and go for a super wide cinematic crop.
nicely done.

I want to say Buckster either posted a thread, or commented on another lightning post with a lot of good information. The thing that jumped out at me however, was the white balance being off. Try Tungsten next time for "TEH BLUE EFF EX".

Thanks for the comments. The one thing that I wish I had done different, would have been to use a different focal length. These were with a 28mm, and I would have liked to have had a closer view. I think something in the 50+ range would have been good. (like LCARSx32 did) I think this shot was done at 10 seconds, but I did try a few 30 second shots as suggested. I wasn't sure if wide open, or closed down would have been best. I think I was a couple stops closed up from wide open.

Man... I thought about trying one of these today... but I chickened out. It was midnight at sunset... the wind picked up to "oh my God, I hope my car is still in the driveway when this is done" speeds and instead of attempting to find a spot where Tewey and I would stay dry (and not blow away), I decided to unplug my Mac Mini, my hard-drives, grab Tewey (which is my camera, if you haven't figured that out by now, :lol:) and Robin, my cat ( ::pauses to let that sink in for a second:: ), and hi-tailed it downstairs waiting for the inevitable tornado to hit.

It didn't.

But I'm a chicken.

:biglaugh:

Nice first shots though... I agree on the white balance thing though. :sillysmi:

i wish i had a cool name for my camera :/

- i like this picture but i would crop it, take some off the top and some off the bottom.

Most reactions

Back