First Time Working with Little Kids. C&C!

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Strobist:*
Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, directly above camera, 1/8 power.*
Quantaray PZ-1 bare, behind and right of subject, 1/32 power

4339018277_113879a634_b.jpg

and then just another one from today. similar lighting setup except for this one, the canon flash and softbox were camera right.*

4339018253_e1a1922c0f_b.jpg

I think the pp of the 2nd one is extreme. There's very harsh contrasts on the right cheek and above her eye. It almost looks as if it were exported in very low quality.

That aside, I really like the lighting in both pictures.

yeah they both look really good

leaps and bounds over your starting images

though i'm not too fond of the blur in the 2nd image, the necklace and area around it just looks wrong.... to me

Sweet expression and those eyes....my goodness, just a beautiful photographs! Perfect light!

These are pretty nice but I think there are some changes that would be interesting.
Using the first one as an example.

Note that the line of the hands and line of the face are different.
The color balance is pretty cold
The top of the head is clipped while there is lots of non-contributory space at the bottom

I edited this to:
.. changed the vertical angle so that the the general slant is halfway between hands and face
.. changed the color balance to warm it up some
.. cropped from the bottom and sides so that everything looked a little tighter but kept the same aspect ratio.

what do you think?

1 is very cute. Her expression is great and the pose really suits her.

RE: #2

IMO, although it is possible to beat this up with PS to make the skin tones look a bit nicer (although the lighting has the skin on her right side with a grimy look), I think there is a basic problem in two areas 1) the DOF is so shallow that the hair is noticeably fuzzy right off her face and that draws the viewers' eye and 2) the composition puts all the really important areas of interest way off the power points (the thirds) and there are large, rather uninteresting areas at the power points.

Almost half the picture area is her upper chest and that has nothing really to draw the eye or engage the interest.

Lew

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back