First timer pictures

Herdous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I am new here. New to online photography forums, actually...
I have been taking pictures on and off for a few years and have mostly taught myself some very basic techniques, but I would now love to get even better and somehow improve on the little I already know.
I figured forums such as this one would be the appropriate place to start.
I will include a couple of shots I deem acceptable and would appreciate any feedback :)
Most of these shots were taken with my old Canon 30D and some with my newer Nikon D7000. The move to Nikon is a very recent one and I am now very keen to take my skills to the next level...
Thanks.

Ok, so:

Picture 1, taken at night with my Canon 30D, mounted on a tripod, at some pedestrian bridge over the 417 between Parkdale avenue and Island Park drive in Ottawa. I wanted to capture a certain "metaphysical" tunnel effect I felt as I stood there before stepping across, an almost existentialist experience. Program, ISO 800, 6 seconds, f14, 28mm.

Picture 2, I couldn't retrieve the info. I remember it was taken hand-held with my Canon 30D and was then put onto a computer that has since crapped out on me, so all I had left was my Facebook post, unfortunately. I remember it was at the Experimental farm here in Ottawa. I was trying out different shots of the tree when I noticed from my right a bird flying in and tried to recompose to get it in the shot. I think under the circumstances I did pretty well...

Picture 3, taken at night with my Nikon D7000, hand-held, on our porch. I was just messing with the camera, understanding its many options and testing out its high-ISO capabilities. Suddenly, Daisy (that beautiful blond) turned her head looking toward the light like something caught her eye and I snapped a few shots. Manual, ISO 3200, 1/1600th, f1.8, 50mm.

Picture 4, taken at night with my Nikon D7000, hand-held, indoors, under poor lighting. I was playing with focal lengths and perspectives, taking portraits of my wife and having her make faces and poses. When I saw what she was doing, I felt the really close close-up worked well with an almost frightened, captured look she had. Like an animal feeling itself cornered (no, that is most definitely NOT the relationship we have, but one must transcend oneself when seeking creativity, hahaha). Manual, ISO 6400, 10/800th (?), f2.5, 50mm.

Picture 5, another picture taken with my Canon 30D, mounted on a tripod, at the Aylmer marina on the Quebec side, across the river from Ottawa. My dad, my stepmom, my then-girlfriend and I were out taking pictures of the beautiful sunsets the place is known for. We got there a while before the magical golden hour, so I was trying to get some good cloud action in there for contrast, when I saw these two teenagers fishing. It took a few shots to isolate one of them and frame him off-centre to get the sun just right. Ideally, I would have had the kid fish from the right toward the middle of the frame, but I just couldn't control his thoughts (I tried) and I myself couldn't move farther to my left without possessing the ability to walk on water, being at the very edge of the pier. Good thing (I think) that I had that bench there to help me balance the image. Manual, ISO 1600, 1/4000th, f8, 105mm.

Picture 6, again taken in the afternoon with my trusty old Canon 30D, mounted on a tripod, in some abandoned, dilapidated warehouse in Montreal that threatened to come down on us at any second. No one was supposed to be there, of course, and it was fenced off and guards patrolled the streets out front, but by taking the long way around, going under the 720 overpass, there was a way around back where half the back wall was torn down. Scary and exciting at the same time! I actually have many shots I cherish from the location, but this one haunts me. When I first took the shot, I just wanted the graffiti, but when I looked at the Raw image a bit more, I saw what my eyes hadn't as I was taking the shot: the image in that little enclave BEHIND the graffiti. It felt like another pair of eyes, a ghostly pair of eyes, was standing guard over that jaded face on the wall. This shot is the only one that I've posted so far that has benefited from any post-processing in order to bring it out more. I believe I may have slightly overdone it, though. Manual, ISO 1600, 1/30th, f5.6, 55mm.

Attachments

• IMG_8990.JPG
    IMG_8990.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 408165_186814711426762_567020002_n (1).jpg
    408165_186814711426762_567020002_n (1).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_1914.jpg
    DSC_1914.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 180
  • DSC_2005.JPG
    DSC_2005.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8754.jpg
    IMG_8754.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_8169.jpg
    IMG_8169.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
In general very nice. I like your framing in most of this pictures.

Welcome!

Yes, The posted pictures look good. I'd like to see the whole dog head but that's personal opinion. To me the ability to see what to shoot and how to frame it is the hard part and you've done well with that. Learning the finer points of the hardware and any post-processing software is necessary to some degree that you decide is right for you. Some of the people on here obviously are more into the technical aspects and some are into the creative aspects of photography. As you read coaching and comments keep in mind the posters focus as all comments are worthwhile, just some apply to what you want and some don't...
Lecture over -- WELCOME to the Forum

Yes, The posted pictures look good. I'd like to see the whole dog head but that's personal opinion.

The thumbnail cuts part of the picture off, and if you click on it, you'll see the entire frame which does include the whole head.

OP, these pictures are really nice. I like the compositions.

Denny's right - you'll get a wide range of comments here on various aspects of the picture, depending on the person's interest or area of expertise.

You might want to read this to help you structure your requests for critique to make them more effective and directed:
How to structure your posts to get critiques on your work (C&C) | Photography Forum

If you don't want the pictures to show up as thumbnails when you attach, the trick is to choose either "thumbnail" or "full image" when you upload the file. If you choose nothing, then the pictures appear as they do in your post. If you choose "thumbnail" it will show up like this:
Black eyed Susans.jpg

And "full image" looks like this:
Black eyed Susans.jpg

Or, of course, if you use something like flickr, you can hotlink.

Thanks for the comments and the tips everyone!
Limr, I will be sure to follow your advice and read that link attentively.
Already, I know I forgot to add any info with the pics, which doesn't make it easy for people to offer up any advice; I will be sure to rectify that as soon as I have a chance.

UPDATE: Original post updated with additional information provided for each picture. Thanks.

Last edited:
You know, when I opened your post (wait, first of all, welcome!) I thought that looked like Burroughs, then I saw the quote at the end. Nice to know there are still some out there crazy enough to like his stuff.

Too many images to comment on, but I'll take on the one that appeals to me most, which is the last one. No, I don't think you overdid it - this works well. My personal preference would have been to accentuate the tension and the "dark" feel by cropping much tighter on the face on the left (maybe even into the face) and by making the mid-tones darker in that part of the image. Give it a try if it suits your conception of the image.

You know, when I opened your post (wait, first of all, welcome!) I thought that looked like Burroughs, then I saw the quote at the end. Nice to know there are still some out there crazy enough to like his stuff.

Too many images to comment on, but I'll take on the one that appeals to me most, which is the last one. No, I don't think you overdid it - this works well. My personal preference would have been to accentuate the tension and the "dark" feel by cropping much tighter on the face on the left (maybe even into the face) and by making the mid-tones darker in that part of the image. Give it a try if it suits your conception of the image.

You know, I think I will drag that picture back into Photoshop and give your suggestions a go, see how I feel about the results. Sounds interesting. Thanks for your input and the welcome :)

You have a good eye I think and thats something that cant be taught

You have a good eye I think and thats something that cant be taught

Well, you see, my dad suffered from amblyopia (laze-eye) as a kid and they caught it too late, so he basically only has one good eye left, while the other is quite blind, so he raised us making sure we had good eyesight. Pretty sure I saw the optometrist every single year until I was a teenager... Still have above 20/20 vision. Truth, I suppose, to the notion "it's not what you do, but who you know" ;)
Thanks for the comment. Always hoping to better myself.
Working on my Hawaii pictures now. Not quite as many keepers as I'd like, but that's just an excuse to go back...

Most reactions

Back