First Try and Product Shots

I'm not assuming Instagram, just that the shoes look small in the frame.
And, if you know the light sucks and the pictures look out of focus, why show them?
Show what you think is good and that way any feedback you get will be useful.
I have a variety of shots shown here, with a variety of different zooms/crops so I don't know how all of these are too small in the frame. Also, I didn't say the light sucks, I just said it was harsh. I'm used to shooting a lot of run and gun, sometimes you can't control the lighting, sometimes you can. I don't feel it's appropriate for you to tell me I shouldn't be posting something because of the lighting. Especially when I don't think the lighting is as bad as you say it is.

Here's something constructive.
You're 22 and, from what you post here, you are really over-defensive about what you think you know and your own skills.
I can't make certain to temper what I think and say in order to take care of your tender feelings.
That would be patronizing.
How about if I treat you like an adult who is trying to get honest responses and better his skills and I can be truthful about what I actually think?
If you want more specific comments, post fewer pictures, say 2 or 3, and number them.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty active on Social Media so brands reach out to me to send me products that they want to get featured in my shots. I got sent a pair of rad hiking boots, that look like fashionable street shoes. I really like the brand, so I decided to send them a little extra something and take some product shots for their Social/Site. I've NEVER done this before, so take each shot with a grain of salt. I would LOVE your input. I don't plan on doing this as a career, so keep that in mind as well. I shot these at mid afternoon, so keep that in mind as well.

As always, please be constructive, not negative. I don't need you telling me something that in the end only hurts my feelings, and doesn't help me learn. View attachment 103396 View attachment 103397 View attachment 103398 View attachment 103399 View attachment 103397

so this is a commercial enterprise and you are sending them images for free?

Hey Kendall,

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but just want to say that the vertical images seem like they would be Pinterest winners. You've given them plenty of room to add some text overlay, which is pretty big on that platform. Products in their "environment" = win. Technical aspects aside (I think Derrel has the best advice here), the setting is great for the medium.

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty active on Social Media so brands reach out to me to send me products that they want to get featured in my shots. I got sent a pair of rad hiking boots, that look like fashionable street shoes. I really like the brand, so I decided to send them a little extra something and take some product shots for their Social/Site. I've NEVER done this before, so take each shot with a grain of salt. I would LOVE your input. I don't plan on doing this as a career, so keep that in mind as well. I shot these at mid afternoon, so keep that in mind as well.

As always, please be constructive, not negative. I don't need you telling me something that in the end only hurts my feelings, and doesn't help me learn. View attachment 103396 View attachment 103397 View attachment 103398 View attachment 103399 View attachment 103397

so this is a commercial enterprise and you are sending them images for free?
I was pretty confused when (5th line) he said he's never done this before but then (1st line) stated that brands reach out to him to shoot their products. Maybe it was just the product in it's environment ...

but at least he's shooting, learning having fun, etc

The one thing I see missing that I like to see in a product is that it's being used. For example a pair of feet in the shoes. Otherwise I always get the impression that they were abandoned and just not good enough to keep.

But sometimes I just think a little different from the rest.

I love my Forsakes :) they sent me a pair this spring and they've been through waves, lakes, rivers, countless hikes, yada yada- and they've held up great. What's your IG?

I'm sure he would like those shots, but I'd try and re do them in more flattering light

Most reactions

New Topics

Back