First try at a shutter speed lower than 60!

Taralyn Romero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first attempt at a shot with very low lighting. I only took two pics the entire night of my friend's band since I had to stand in the very center of the "dance" area to get the shot... very embarassing as I don't like being the center of attention like that... so, two shots and I ran back to my little corner!

Jonhhy.jpg

JOHNNY.jpg

I think that it looks pretty good for your first time doing so. Theather lighting/Disco type lighting can be very difficult to shoot in because its always changing. I found out this weekend how it likes to change shooting a show choir compitition. All in all pretty cool!

These are great for your first attempt. The lighting in these places are butal, but you did really well.

i think you did well here....i really like the second one :)

Thank you all for your comments! I will be taking more shots of the band two Thursday's from now at another venue (for free). I'm hoping I'll be able to put my stage fright on hold that night so that I can take the time to hopefully get some better ones. They are just starting out as a band and don't have any real pics yet - lucky for me!

Taralyn Romero said:
My first attempt at a shot with very low lighting. I only took two pics the entire night of my friend's band since I had to stand in the very center of the "dance" area to get the shot... very embarassing as I don't like being the center of attention like that... so, two shots and I ran back to my little corner!

Definatly takes some getting used to when you're shooting live shows.

Bands usually really appreciate it though. And everyone else thinks you're a pro.

These pics a great by the way. Colours and light levels are great.

would love to see the exif info on these so I can compare it to the stuff I have shot in similar situations. I assume you shot these on the d50?

Chiller said:
These are great for your first attempt. The lighting in these places are butal, but you did really well.

i agree...good job!

^^ Maybe you should have taken more? Thats what I like about being a photographer, not so much being the center of attention, but rather being in 'the zone' where its just you and the subject.

Thank you everyone for your comments! I'm pretty please with the lighting as well but dissapointed that I didn't stay out there longer..... next time!

Rashadan said:
would love to see the exif info on these so I can compare it to the stuff I have shot in similar situations. I assume you shot these on the d50?

Oh yes, the D50 is the only camera I have capable of doing such a shot. I believe on the first shot I was shoointg F1.8 w/a 1/50 shutter. THe second shot was F1.8 w/a 1/30 shutter. I had the internal settings on incandescent to remove the orange/red.

Ah, imagine what it was like to walk in ten years ago... no light balance then, no instant preview. No way to 'check out' the lighting. No way that the ever changing existing light could be read correctly. With film it was simple, set up your camera, make the best guess you could based on your meter and shoot bracket, shoot again, then bracket again.

No wonder hacks like me used to blow everything out with a powerful strobe. Then print it black and white for posters. Strobe does have one benefit, If you are lucky, when he bites the head off the rat you catch it just right. I really, really am impressed with the things digital photography does.

Taralyn Romero said:
Oh yes, the D50 is the only camera I have capable of doing such a shot. I believe on the first shot I was shoointg F1.8 w/a 1/50 shutter. THe second shot was F1.8 w/a 1/30 shutter. I had the internal settings on incandescent to remove the orange/red.
So you were using a 50mm f1.8 prime lens for these? What ISO where you shooting at? JPG or RAW?

Rashadan - I used an ISO of 1600 and was shooting in JPEG FINE. I think even with the high ISO, the grain is really quite minimal. I've heard the D50 is known for its quality in reducing grain at high ISO speeds but have yet to make a print :)

Most reactions

Back