First try at ICM

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a little downtime Sunday morning and decided to try ICM. I took a few different shots, and this is the one I liked the best out of the lot.

I essentially walked back and forth in front of a holly bush.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ICM technique or the photo/processing?

Holly ICM TPF.jpg

Canon Rebel XSi, 50mm, ISO-100, f/4, 1/10-sec

I have been doing ICM images almost exclusively for the past few years, There are several techniques, experimentation and luck is a big part of it. I prefer to use shutter priority mode, an ISO of 100 and shutter speeds of about 1\4 of a second to 1\13. A good read is Juergen Roth's : Mastering the art or intentional camera movement . Some examples of different styles, Chris Friel - British artist and photographer, Eva Polak : impressionistic photography. Other photogs to google - Andre Gallant, Freeman Patterson and Brenda Tharp also touch on ICM photography.

I got some cool images a while ago when I was bored from turning and zooming the camera at the same time with a slow-ish shutter speed mate.

I have been doing ICM images almost exclusively for the past few years, There are several techniques, experimentation and luck is a big part of it. I prefer to use shutter priority mode, an ISO of 100 and shutter speeds of about 1\4 of a second to 1\13. A good read is Juergen Roth's : Mastering the art or intentional camera movement . Some examples of different styles, Chris Friel - British artist and photographer, Eva Polak : impressionistic photography. Other photogs to google - Andre Gallant, Freeman Patterson and Brenda Tharp also touch on ICM photography.
Thanks so much for the links/info! Definitely good tips there.

Love your shots!

And here I thought I was just shaking too much while all the time I can call it ICM and it's OK.
How many ICM folks have done the Zoom Out on a Christmas Tree - the Classic shot......

And here I thought I was just shaking too much while all the time I can call it ICM and it's OK.
How many ICM folks have done the Zoom Out on a Christmas Tree - the Classic shot......
Yeah, mine pretty much stinks as a first attempt.

Never tried the 'classic' tree shot. May have to try it.

Try different movements. Vertical gives more definition than horizontal movements. When I shoot flowers, I usually only shoot a single bloom, day lilies and iris work well, turn the camera slowly in the direction of the petals or in a circular motion. For trees, vertical is best. Always try to go with the strongest lines in the scene. You can however get some cool seascapes with horizontal movement. Watch the sky, if you drag too much of it into the shot, it will blow out the entire image. Don't get discouraged, in the beginning you may get only one keeper per 50 to 100 images.

Try different movements. Vertical gives more definition than horizontal movements. When I shoot flowers, I usually only shoot a single bloom, day lilies and iris work well, turn the camera slowly in the direction of the petals or in a circular motion. For trees, vertical is best. Always try to go with the strongest lines in the scene. You can however get some cool seascapes with horizontal movement. Watch the sky, if you drag too much of it into the shot, it will blow out the entire image. Don't get discouraged, in the beginning you may get only one keeper per 50 to 100 images.
Such good tips! Thanks so much!

I have done a couple selfies like this but never knew there was a name. Good reading on those links.

Most reactions

Back