first try at macro

I actually really like the first one. I find that it being a little overexposed, makes the water droplets stand out :)
The second one is nice too, but I like the first better.

roses make great subjects for macro photography, and a bit of over or under exposure usually doesn't detract, and they lend themselves to both hard and soft focus...
nice pics aj

Thanks. I really like the bug shots that are on this forum which is why I bought the raynox to begin with. I would of never thought that the dof was that thin. I have a new appreciation for how hard these shots must be to get. I cant wait untill spring gets here so I can play more outside.

I guess I'm in the minority. I like the second shot better. I agree that the first is a little too overexposed for my taste, but again that is my opinion. The second could maybe use just a little more contrast but that is really the only critique I can find. Very, very, good shots for a first attempt. I must warn you, Macro is very addictive. Before long you will have to join several of us in Macro Anonymous.

I had both printed in 8x10 since my wife couldnt decide which one she liked most. Origanally I liked the one with water drops but after print the second one is my favorite. I have to say that I will be addicted to macro. Its amazing the amount of detial that the human eye doesnt see. Im looking forward to this spring and summer.

Haha I bet. I really wanted to get a macro lens but figured Id just get the raynox to see how I like it. Im all ready looking to get a lens now. There any books on macro worth getting?

I'm sure there are some good ones but I subscribe to the 3P's. Practice, practice, practice.
You need a steady hand or tripod, good light, and try to stop the lens down as much as possible to increase DOF. A good lens is important also but not as much as these other thoughts. Those rules are simplistic, but if you master them, you'll get good images.

Most reactions

Back