first try at night panorama

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
this is my first shot at night photography with my D90, and my first ever panorama attempt. turned out fairly good all due considering. I wish I could have gotten better composition but there were many problems with obstacles in my way to get what I wanted, I'll have to try a different vantage point next time. also wish the exposure turned out a bit more sharp, it was tough though, it has been snowing all day and there was a little 'haze' in the air when I took these, so that just contributed to the problem.

any C&C is appreciated, I'm fairly new to this all.

IIRC this was shot in manual mode at f/11, 2" exposure...I swear I shot this at 200ISO, but the exif data says it was 2000? I dunno, but that would explain some of the noise.

I don't know if I can even add this here, its a super long pano, but lets give it a shot.

EDIT - see post #6 for link to larger sized image.

Panoramasmall.jpg

Last edited:
okay so apparently photobucket is resizing it super small, so let me figure out what is up and I'll repost it

I have never tried to shot a panorama shot. Atleast you are trying. I will check back latter to see if you have posted a bigger version.

yeah I've got larger versions I'd like to post, but photobucket automatically sizes it down when I upload it no matter what. is there any better photo hosting sites? does flickr do auto-resize too? I'll be at work all night tonight, once things calm down up there I'll try uploading a better size again.

as for the noise, it turns out the auto-ISO was on, so it ended up shooting at ~2000-3200 ISO even though I originally put it at 200. I'll have to go out on a clearer night with the auto-ISO off and try again. you'll see what I mean about the noise when I can upload a larger version.

Last edited:
yeah its a wide pic. :mrgreen: about 20 shots stiched together using CS4.

I wish I could have gotten more of downtown in the shot, but oh well, next time perhaps.

try tinypic or imageshack.us?
i think flickr resizes pics as well.. idk if they still do if you have a pro account though

whoa.. thats big enough :p

try tinypic or imageshack.us?
i think flickr resizes pics as well.. idk if they still do if you have a pro account though

whoa.. thats big enough :p

I checked flickr and they do too. I got my photobucket to not re-size it if its under 1MB, so we're good on this.

yeah, thats the smaller 'web friendly' version too :lol:

I think it's a bit under exposed and grainy. You should try with lower ISO and longer exposure, hopefully be able to capture more details.

yeah thats exactally what I was thinking too, I had to alter the exposure in PP because I had the auto-ISO on and it went way too high for my liking. next time I'm thinking 200 ISO, and an ~8" exposure?

Well it all depends on the condition of the day. Was it a cloudy night? Was the moon out? Etc. It's hard to say. Also, it also depend how long of a "light trail" you want from the traffic or the stars. The good thing about digital camera is you can do multiple test shots before you do the real thing, not a luxury that I have.

Well it all depends on the condition of the day. Was it a cloudy night? Was the moon out? Etc. It's hard to say. Also, it also depend how long of a "light trail" you want from the traffic or the stars. The good thing about digital camera is you can do multiple test shots before you do the real thing, not a luxury that I have.

yeah I'm still getting used to the whole digital thing myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back