First try at panning

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I totally forgot I had this one until Xmetal's topic reminded me! This was my first attempt at a panning shot. Well 3rd actually the first two had too fast of a shutter speed, but stop down some more and lengthen the shutter and voila! Turned out OK I think.

ISO 100
f/22 - 1/20sec
f-28mm

blur0334.jpg

All the way back to #334 out of my 10D!

I'm currently at #6954 :shock: Sheesh I need to slow down :roll:

Nice job, especially at that speed. That was your third exposure EVER while panning? It seems like you're a natural at it. :cheer: I took a go at panning the other day, and before I knew it I had shot a good 150 exposures. Panning is SOOO much fun. :D

Thanks everyone! I got a little lucky with this one. I did take more after this shot but they were not anywhere near this clear! Of course I might try it completely sober next time :lol:

Ya that'd probably be easier :oops:

Very good, Canon Fan! Very good! :D
And those machines, my! Those speak for some next-to-hypersonic speed! ;)
Well, my first attempts at panning were a complete and utter failure (horses), and for the second, my friend rode her motorbike at about 3 mph so that I'd catch her... so who am I to snicker about these machines...????

LaFoto said:
Very good, Canon Fan! Very good! :D
And those machines, my! Those speak for some next-to-hypersonic speed! ;)
Well, my first attempts at panning were a complete and utter failure (horses), and for the second, my friend rode her motorbike at about 3 mph so that I'd catch her... so who am I to snicker about these machines...????
Ooooh ya horses are hard to pan like this! To many moving parts :lol:

The key is a shutter speed that is slow enough to blur the background as you "track" the subject while releasing the shutter. This day was very bright so to allow a slow shutter speed I used ISO 100 and a small aperature (ie f/22) to allow a 1/20 shutter speed while keeping a proper exposure. This is the basic breakdown . . .

1. Let them ride past once to get a feel for the speed, check focus and check my exposure meter for the pre-metered background.

2. Increased the exposure 1/2 stop to brighten the "darker" subects.

3. As they came past again I followed thier movement and released the shutter while tracking thier movement.

4. Don't stop moving while you click the shutter! If you even slow down it will blur the subject as well (this part is tricky!)

In the end you just have to experiment. I know there are plenty of people here that have WAY more experience with this than I do but I hope my explanation helped a little at least :wink:

Most reactions

Back