First try @ B&W, please help

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by 250Gimp, Oct 19, 2006.

1. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am new to photography, 2 months, and this is my first try at Black & White. I really like this pic and am thinking of blowing it up a bit. I need to know if there is any thing I should do to this pic for improvement. General comments are apreciated to.

[​IMG]

Cheers :camera:

2. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Any thoughts at all would be great, positive or negative.

Thanks

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Frankly I dont see a picture

4. Youngun

Youngun TPF Noob!

the limited DOF looks really good. I also really like the catch lights in her eyes. It may just be the scaled down image, but it seems to me that the tip of her nose is actually the part in sharpest focus. In a picture like this I think the eyes should be sharpest. It would make her stare really grab your attention. It's hard to tell from the blurred background, but were you holding the camera horizontally? I do like her head tilt, but it might be interesting to tilt the camera a bit as well.

5. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the feed back.

Mysteryscribe, I take it you don't like it. I am just learning so I assume you feel the composition is poor.

Youngun, you are probably right. I did not do any sharpening after the fact and the picture was actually one of those fluke shots. I had the camera off to the right of my shoulder and hit the shutter button.

6. Youngun

Youngun TPF Noob!

off to the side of your shoulder? in that case it turned out pretty darn well. I don't know if that's necessarily what mystery was saying. Perhaps when he tried to view it the picture wouldn't load. You would have to confirm or deny that though, mystery.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I came to this thread yesterday, the pic did not load for me, either. Today I can see it nice and clear. Fun photo. My feeling is that DOF is deep enough to cover nose and eyes (and the zit on the forehead is ever so much in focus, too...). The most endearing part of this photo is her very engaging smile! I am not so very sure of the composition as such, but seeing as there was none and this is an accidental shot, it is really nice! Her smile makes it!

8. struss

struss TPF Noob!

If you could make your face a bit lighter than the background, the subject matter would really pop out...