First Wedding as Paid Photographer

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by jmthompson, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jmthompson

jmthompson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here are some shots from my 2nd wedding. My first wedding I shot for no charge; they just had to pay for any prints, and they ended up buying several hundred dollars worth, which was a great boost to my confidence! For this wedding I charged a nominal fee, but I made sure the client understood that I was still building my wedding portfolio, and I was not an experienced wedding photographer. The bride-to-be had viewed my website and was impressed with my other photography, and since they had not planned on a professional photographer anyway, they were excited to give me a chance!

I would welcome any comments and constructive critique!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ceremony was 7 minutes long, so that was a bit of a challenge, and it was windy, cold, and had been raining off and on all day, although no rain for the ceremony (I don't think it had time!!!), but it was a great experience, and I am looking forward to my next one!

2. Andrew Sun

Andrew Sun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some really nice shots in this series, the little girls in orange are quite adorable.
    I think you've captured Shot #5 especially good.

3. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They look great, but the #5 shot lost it for me with the green of the flowers in the foreground.

4. jmthompson

jmthompson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments! I was disappointed by the leaves being in the way in #5, also. I had a small step stool, which probably would have eliminated that, but it was set up on the other side of the ceremony. I had planned on moving around to the other side and shooting a few shots from a higher perspective, but it was over before I had a chance! One lesson learned...ask how long the ceremony is! They definitely weren't Catholic (my ceremony was!)! Does anyone actually carry a small stool around when shooting? Or do you set it up before the ceremony in a likely spot, and then plan on taking some specific shots from there?

Thanks again!

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There are some nice compositions here. I think most of them could use a bit more processing, though #12 has just the right amount.

The lighting seems pretty flat in most of them, but, hey, what are you going to do for an outdoor wedding short of dragging around half a studio with you?

6. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nuke 'em with your flash. That's what... >.>

Just kidding. They're pretty good. I agree about the flat lighting though, again, what the heck to do about it? Hire three assistants and have them run around with your speedlites and diffusers? I don't get the feeling that was in your budget. :p

7. jmthompson

jmthompson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The lighting was definitely my main concern! It was a very dreary day, with lots of rain and fog. When shooting by myself, I haven't quite figured out how to manage the lighting, etc., as you have pointed out! The wind was also blowing about 15 mph, so we had to shoot FAST, as everyone was freezing. I would love to hear how anyone else handles this sort of situation, at least until I can hire one of those handy assistants!

8. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Or five. I joked about having assistants a lot with one of the guys at my local camera store. Like any of us has the money to hire people. :p

9. Munky

Munky TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you Marry your Sweetheart Wearing Jeans and a Ball Cap...You Might Be a Redneck :lmao:

But seriosly teh pics look Great....maybe like some said before a little post-processing..but over all Great Job!

10. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good shots. I am glad he took the time to put on his nicest belt buckle on his wedding day. :roll:

11. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, nice of the groom to dress up! :D

Some nice shots there, that's a pretty cool location with the rocks, actually. Nice work, it looks like you are well on your way! :)

12. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm glad I'm not the only one banging my head over the groom and groomsmen in jeans.

Looks like a pretty good start for someone new. Did you have a circular polarizer? If not, it might be one of the first things to invest in next. I agree on the flash/diffuser/nuke comment... joke though it was. Get a bracket to hold the flash off the side of the camera to help the shadows and such.

Unfortunate skies for such a pretty setting. Mother nature needs to behave herself on wedding days.