First wedding - feedback please?

lbentley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I just photographed my first wedding ever. It was a super low-pressure event (this couple was originally not going to have a photographer at all) otherwise I would not have taken on such an important job at my amateur level!

Anyway, I really wanted some 100% honest feedback on the photos. I wanted to take a photojournalistic approach to the day and avoid doing a lot of the cheesy/typical wedding poses. My goal is to tell the story of the day from start to finish through my photos. You can view all the photos here (scroll to the right):
Leah Bentley Photo - Ali Gibson Wedding

I would greatly appreciate honest critiques and tips so I can improve. I know I have a ways to go figuring out how to use my external speedlite, but I don't think the results are too shabby (see dancing photos towards the end). Overall I'm pleased with the results, but a second pair of eyes would be amazing. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

For a first wedding I'd say they are pretty bang on.

A few distracting backgrounds, but all in all good, clean, well-exposed shots.

The shots improve as you get the subjects away from dead center and filling the frame.

I really love that shot of the two old men sitting alone that the table.

No tips or critique since people photography is not my thing but wanted to say I love the photojournalistic approach you took right up through the casually posed group shots. You seem to have been in the right place at the right time throughout the day which is a skill in itself. Really lovely album.

I also really like the "photojournalistic approach" for that. Well done!! Keep improving this technique more and more.

Also, watch this video on how to use wide-angle lenses for storytelling. It can be useful to complement your photojournalistic approach. Good luck!

Last edited:
Very nice! I love these shots! :586:

The only one that I don't like is the very last one with the walking bridge and tree. It's a little too processed for my tastes.

Lovely work....my only critique and it is just personal taste, it seems as the shoot progressed the skin tones became pinker

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure about that last one with the bridge and the tree -- I wanted to indicate some sort of dark, "winding down", mood -- but I ended up taking it out of the album on my website. Now that I've done this, I'd love to do more weddings, but I don't want to take a risk on a higher pressure / highly-paid gig with my lack of experience and expertise. Anyone have advice on where to go from here? I've been trying to seek out second-shooter opportunities, but they're all pretty intimidating to me. The listings on craigslist say things like "2+ years wedding experience, excellent wedding portfolio, skilled with flash" etc.

Have you ever not applied to a job because you didn't have exactly the experience stated in the opening? If they see this album it would be enough for most. I mean you're well worth the 100-200$ they might throw your way.

using tapatalk.

Leah; I've seen worse wedding portfolios by people who do not admit to being new at it. You could work on things like; framing, cropping, more artistic placement of main subjects, improve your consistency, learn portable lighting, giving subjects better direction, etc.

You're doing fine. Hang your shingle.

They look great to me! :)

Most reactions

Back