First wedding photography shoot

Exhibiter, TLRs are often forgotten, but can make a perfect portrait camera. Huge negative for great enlargements, sharp lens, and not too spendy like the medium format SLRs.

I miss my Rolleiflex and Yashicamat.

Kristov: Preferring B&W is no reason not to shoot digital. With digital, shoot in color, then you have the choice later. The only thing that might be missing is if your digital camera doesn't shoot raw, you won't have the full tonal range that B&W film offers.

It's not that I really prefer B&W over digital, it's that I prefer film over digital. I enjoy both, but I like the feel of the rude and crude from yester year.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the camera? or the wedding that has not happened yet? Or my pics in the past? Honestly not really sure what you're looking for...

Most important issues have been aready covered...

Primarily, don't annoy the photographer. Then again, you too have rights. Safest thing to do is stick around your seat area, never take precedence over the official photographer, and don't get in their way.

You also need to remember to enjoy yourself over everything. Don't have your camera all the time on you; it's a secondary thing. You're there to celebrate and enjoy their wedding.

Just keep in mind that some shots may be distracting; eg, unless you are the official photographer, sometimes shots during the 'special times' can be annoying to some. Make sure that your film rewind isn't so loud to distract.

Actually had not thought of the gears for winding to be honest. May end up not using it to keep noise down.

It's supposed to be an outside event, by a river at a gazeebo or something, sounds nice, and will mean I can hopefully get away with a little slower lens and not have to snag a faster 135. :p

Ok, little update. Still doing this gig as an add on photographer, IE guest that happens to have a camera. BUT a new development has occurred. My fiance's sister is getting married in July, I was told I'm doing the photos. Note the told, not asked. I said I'm a beginning amateur at best, but apparently my thought on the matter does not really matter.

If I don't, good chance my future inlaws will make life harder than it needs to be. I'm honestly flattered, and rather terrified of messing this up, as I really don't have the experience to do this proper, which I have told them.

Any recommendations? I plan to go digital, as a plethora of shots is better than a few film ones when I'm at a loss. It will be inside an older historic house in my area, which I plan to scout out a bit before hand. The bride agreed to a pre-wedding shoot with her in her dress, so that I have a better chance.

As far as equipment goes, all I have is my D50, and my kit lenses. A 18-55 3.5-5.6 and a 55-200 4-5.6. I can't justify buying a faster lens at this point, but renting is an option.

Ugh, sorry, this is a mix of rant, and search for help. I can't refuse, and if I screw it up, it may be just as bad as if I didn't do it to begin with.

Most reactions

Back