First Wedding please Help!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by beccatoo9, Jan 27, 2009.

1. beccatoo9

beccatoo9 TPF Noob!

I am shooting my first big wedding in 4 months. It is outside and I am so afraid of harsh shadows. I have the Canon Rebel XTI. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for Great Pictures? Do I need to buy any additional lenses or an additional flash

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well it would help to know what you have currently as far as gear goes. Also are you doing this professionally or just a favor to a friend.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

You are likely to hear a lot of comments to the effect that: If you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be shooting a wedding.
    My first concern is whether or not you have enough equipment...as in, do you have backup cameras, lenses, flashes etc?

There are many, many factors that can play a role in how you shoot a wedding...and with an outdoor wedding, you may not know what to expect until you show up that day. A good wedding photographer is prepared for most situations and does what is needed for the job at hand.

A quick answer to your question about harsh shadows...I would use flash, and a powerful one at that. The Canon 580EX would probably get the job done.

4. beccatoo9

beccatoo9 TPF Noob!

I have my degree in Graphic Design and I took additional classes in photography. I don't care if people criticize me. This is why I am in the beginners forum. I have shot 5 weddings so far. My very first was outside and it turned out very well. I just needed to know what add. equip I need to buy before then. I am willing to make a small investment. I have the canon, and 2 smaller backup cameras and 3 extra batteries for my large camera.

5. HoosierJoe

HoosierJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You've done 5 weddings without an external flash unit? Wow, you must be good.

You should have a back up camera and lens.

We are really kind of in the dark not knowing, other that a Rebel Xti, what specifically you have.

I would suggest a flash unit. The Canon 430 Ex can be had for $200. Certain lenses are better for certain uses but not knowing what you have it is a little difficult to suggest anything.

6. beccatoo9

beccatoo9 TPF Noob!

I only have the Telephoto zoom lens - 300 mm
    Which doesn't really help at all. I have never used it for a wedding.

Should I buy a wide angle lens?

7. Breanna

Breanna TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is it a paid gig or a favor for a friend?

Why do I ask? It makes a difference. If its a friend and you're doing them a favor (aka they just can't afford a pro) then just do your best to get a photo of EVERYTHING. Capture special moments. If the person doesn't want to fork out a lot of dough for a pro, the probably don't care quite as much about the overall quality. Just a fact. Nothing wrong with that.

A wide angle lens would be nice, as would a portrait lens (50mm f/1.8 is great and you can buy it for under $100 on Amazon). The 50mm will also allow you to use a lot less flash for any indoor moments. I would suggest investing in a flash unit like the Speedlite 430ex or 580ex. What is the difference between these and your on camera flash you ask? The Speedlite will allow you to direct your light instead of pointing it right in the face of your subject. You avoid horrid shadows, red-eye, and that ugly washed out effect.

Do you shoot outside of the Automatic realm?

8. HoosierJoe

HoosierJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This forum has a lot of good posters for sure, but you might get more help from the Photography on the net canon forum. You should be able to find it easily via search engine.

Look around there and ask the wedding photogs what they are using. Weddings are not my thing, I'm not brave enough.

9. uberben

uberben TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are getting paid. . . I would say 2 DSLR, 2 Flash units and as much 2.8 lens (or less) as you can afford to buy. Bring a ton of CF and lots of battery power too.

If you can find a cheap 20d/30d, it would be a great camera to use and you could reduce your xti to backup. I've seen these go for 300 lately and they are built better for shooting weddings.

Canon 430ex: Get at least 1 if not 2. I have had flash unit fail at the most wacky times. Failure isn't an option. If you can't afford to buy a flash, rent one. They are cheap to rent.

Lenses:Figure out what your favorite range is and buy the nicest lens you can afford. f/2.8 or less is your friend. the 70-200 2.8 IS is a workhorse for weddings. if you can't afford to buy it, rent it. I also shoot with the 16-35, 17-55 and 24-70 focul lengths a fair amount.

10. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Can we see some photos from your previous weddings?

11. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah id like to as well

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd suggest a Canon flash with the high speed sync feature. The 430 and 580 have it. Common advice would be to set flash comp at -1 for fill flash, but take a couple of test shots. I find that outdoors on bright days the flash is often fooled into underexposing a bit anyway.

Dial in +1 flash comp when the bride in white fills much of the frame. Dial in -1 flash comp when the groom, or anyone in black fills most of the frame.