First wedding - what do you think?

butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently did some photos for a friend's wedding with my EOS Canon Rebel with a Promaster 5500 flash. Any comments, suggestions on these one?

I think I really need to work on the inside photos during the ceremony...

These are just some of my favs...

NatNJNose.jpg

702580-R1-023-10.jpg

702573-R1-037-17.jpg

702573-R1-031-14.jpg

702578-R1-019-8.jpg

702577-R1-015-6.jpg

First I would say to resize these to 800x600 so that you can see the whole image w/o having to scroll.

I like the first and last ones best of what you have posted. You captured a nice moment in the first one and there isn't much I would change about that. I like the last one as well, but I might ease up on the opacity of that vignette to about 60% assuming that was added in photoshop.

On the second one I would crop about an inch off the bottom to the base of the neck. I'm not sure it was this overexposed in the camera or part of the post processing, but in either case I don't find it very flattering.

The third and fourth seem about 1.5-2 stops overexposed to me at least. I would try and clone out that candle that is growing out of the grooms head in the third one as well. The biggest problem I see with these two are the flash which seems to be aimed directly at them. I think if it were bounced off the ceiling it would had a more pleasing effect and made for a more proper exposure. Groom has a pretty harsh shadow in both which you might be able to clone out with a bit of effort.

5 is a bit overexposed as well which I would think was intentional in trying to get a more high key effect? I would go back w/ the history brush and try and remove whatever glur effect you applied from grooms head/arms because they have a ghostly appearance as is.

Now feel free to disregard anything I just said, as I only have 1 wedding to my credit.

just my .02

First I would say to resize these to 800x600 so that you can see the whole image w/o having to scroll.

I like the first and last ones best of what you have posted. You captured a nice moment in the first one and there isn't much I would change about that. I like the last one as well, but I might ease up on the opacity of that vignette to about 60% assuming that was added in photoshop.

On the second one I would crop about an inch off the bottom to the base of the neck. I'm not sure it was this overexposed in the camera or part of the post processing, but in either case I don't find it very flattering.

The third and fourth seem about 1.5-2 stops overexposed to me at least. I would try and clone out that candle that is growing out of the grooms head in the third one as well. The biggest problem I see with these two are the flash which seems to be aimed directly at them. I think if it were bounced off the ceiling it would had a more pleasing effect and made for a more proper exposure. Groom has a pretty harsh shadow in both which you might be able to clone out with a bit of effort.

5 is a bit overexposed as well which I would think was intentional in trying to get a more high key effect? I would go back w/ the history brush and try and remove whatever glur effect you applied from grooms head/arms because they have a ghostly appearance as is.

Now feel free to disregard anything I just said, as I only have 1 wedding to my credit.

just my .02

Almost ditto for me JohnBoy

I diodn't like the last one too much - the eyes are looking too far to the side.

Flash is the tough thing to master though. Shoot manual and let the flash do its job. Better still use a fast lens like the 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 and you won't need flash so much. I try not to use flash except for the reception.

I would question exposure from the shots, 1st one especially, but this is something done so easy in Photoshop,

Again for No 2 the flash was too hot on the image, leaving a huge over exposed area, maybe adjustint to use flash as fill in??

With 3 the symetry went a little wrong, maybe just a little late on the right shot, but it is nicely exposed and shows what the moment said.

I think no 4 would do well with some cropping, and would also be a great shot outside with some nice backdrop

Photo 5 was so near being PERFECT

Photo 6 Is Perfect, a Great use of monotones

Cheers

Steve

No1 is slightly underexposed. Check your histogram when editing shots.

For the flash you had I would be pleased with the shots you got. Beware of the ISO changing on you with the canon Rebel when you go inside. The grain in those two shots is what bothered me the most. However I think you covered the essential shots there and that is what is most important in wedding photography. Did you get the important moments. And I would agree that pulling back on your over-expose effect on #2 would work better, but that is personal preference, and #5 is awesome I like the motion effect with that moment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back