First wedding - Whew...

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I posted anything for C&C, so I figured I would share a few from my very first wedding. I am a little hesitant to share here in the professional gallery since I am FAR from considering myself as such. The first wedding is tough, and I am glad I have it under my belt.

Please let me know what you think and thank you for stopping by!

4386168915_569bbc7c27_o.jpg

4386932948_7c02affb18_o.jpg

4386162887_510cd8c7a3_o.jpg

4386928970_a77e8134fc_o.jpg

4386938712_34bc7ac9fc_o.jpg

4386930044_d3055c1742_o.jpg

4386171217_a0ec7e7443_o.jpg

4386945084_6ee22c2fe9_o.jpg

4386953728_869510a193_o.jpg

4386936268_bd1e1341f5_o.jpg

4386952402_7730c4b646_o.jpg

4386935162_1cf17008c9_o.jpg

4386926668_cdc37c9b68_o.jpg

4386164925_2ca60d02a6_o.jpg

4386221537_c39c8f2feb_o.jpg

Looks like a good start to me. I love the picture with the roses and the couple in the bokeh. Would like to see them a little more in focus, but none the less that was a great shot and a cool perspective.

I really like 12. At first I thought it was too overexposed but after looking at it some more I like it. Beautiful photos.

Hi and welcome to entering wedding photogaphy!

As my notices about your photos, that they are mostly underexposed. Also some white balance seems to be not acurate. Dont panic, its just the settings of you camera ;)
Overall croping, composing seems quite good for me.

Good look in futher experience of wedding photography :)

P.S. Sorry of my english

You sure this is your first wedding? Honestly, I saw the title and rolled my eyes, but decided to click anyways.

I think you did a damn good job for your first wedding. It shows that you took the time to prepare and practice prior to shooting instead of just jumping on in and shooting a friend's wedding when asked.

Generally, I like your choice of compositions on the images and found they are mostly well exposed and interesting.

Just some general CC on random images:

3- Like the DOF on the bouquet, but her eyes seem a bit odd. Overprocessed? Odd reflection in them? Looks like a window, not sure.

4- Cute as hell, love it. Not sure if the chair adds or removes from the image. I guess if you didn't have it, then you'd see alot more of the kid in the image and you wouldn't have the same impact and focus on the shoes

5- Fun stalker style picture. Not a negative thing, I'm just saying thats what it reminded me of. I like the idea, but dont like your choice of where to do this. I find the fruit on top of the guy's head on the upper right odd, but yet funny as I'm hoping it would fall on him.

9- Similar feel to #4, but I feel you pulled off #4 a bit better. I'm thinking being slightly lower down might be nice as well or maybe being a bit closer in. Nice job though

10- Nice capture, but under exposed

12- Not my style at all, but it looks well done.

14- Nice moment captured. Maybe moving a bit to you side so that the clock is a little bit away from her head?

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Looks like a good start to me. I love the picture with the roses and the couple in the bokeh. Would like to see them a little more in focus, but none the less that was a great shot and a cool perspective.
Thank you for your input. I also would have liked the couple to be more in focus in this shot, as it stands, you feel they were not supposed to be part of the image at all.

One thing to note though, these pics were imported to Flickr, resized in Picnic (which is garbage) and posted here. For some reason, they lost a lot of their sharpness (you can click on my Flickr for the 'sharp' versions).

bigtwinky / dzfoto / jvillaire,

Thank you for your comments! Regarding image 3 (which was my personal fave from the day), the eyes were not really overprocessed. In that image, I did your typical skin retouching and sharpened and slightly lightened her eyes. She does have naturally beautiful eyes though. It was indeed taken by a window, camera left.

With 14, I decided to include the clock in the image exactly where it appears (without any hands showing) because it frames her face nicely and just has a "timeless" quality.

*** With all of these images, I think it's important to mention that this was a backyard wedding. This is the reason I got pretty tight and tried to keep the distracting, not-so-attractive backgrounds out. It was a painfully difficult first wedding for this reason alone, but I am glad I decided to tackle it, because it made me really think hard about how to still get pleasing looking images w/o the 'budget wedding' feel. My 50mm was my best friend that day :) ***

Considering your lack of experience, I think you did a great job and I'm sure the B&G are very pleased with the photos.

Wow, those are really good. I'm gonna disagree with Pierre, in that I really love the processing on the bride and bouquet. Really pretty!

Very nice job! They all look great...of course, there are some minor details that need correcting, but overall, great job!!! :clap:

Last edited:
2,3,4,5,6 , and 7 are my favorites! definitely 3 and 4!! This does not look like your first wedding! These pictures are absolutely wonderful! I bet they are very pleased with the results. Good job~ :thumbup:

Wow, this wedding looks very similar to mine! From the chuck taylors, the black shirt with tux, to his ring lol. The only difference is that I had a black vest instead of the white. CRAZY!!

I would show proof, but I don't want to distract away from your thread.

-For your first wedding, I'm very impressed and love your ideas. Especially the bride behind bouquet and the kid on the chair with only feet.

What lens did you shoot with?
I shot with two lenses. I had a 50mm f/1.8 on my 450D, and had my 24-70mm f/2.8 L attached to my 40D. I did not need to go too wide (as this was a backyard wedding, and I wanted to leave certain details out - if you know what I mean).

I really appreciate the good feedback, I was pretty terrified (even during the shoot) that I would never shoot another wedding. First, I felt like I was completely out of my element. It's amazing that as a wedding photographer, all of your planning kind of goes out the window as the days events unfold in ways you would have NEVER expected.

It's amazing that as a wedding photographer, all of your planning kind of goes out the window as the days events unfold in ways you would have NEVER expected.

LOL... this is soooo true. From weather, to bossy people, uncooperative kids (and adults too), bad light, equipment failure, traffic,... so much is out of your control.

Most reactions

Back