First wedding...$?

I shoot Nikon :grumpy:. I am considering going BACK to Canon and getting the 5D but man I have invested so much in my Nikon stuff, just wish I would have understood Full Frame a little more.

I shoot Nikon :grumpy:. I am considering going BACK to Canon and getting the 5D but man I have invested so much in my Nikon stuff, just wish I would have understood Full Frame a little more.

Rather than do that, why not look into the D3? That's full frame and you won't have to change your kit.

As far as weddings go, I carry my XT as a backup and use my 30D for the photography. I also carry a Tamron 17-35 and Tamron 28-75 although I do the majority of the shooting with a Canon 17-85 IS. I have several Canon flashes but for future weddings will use my 580EX2 with another 580EX2 as a backup.

I don't use long lenses. I think they're too much of a compromise unless I get something like the 70-200 f2.8 and pay the weight penalty. I don't use an assistant or a second shooter.

Currently I'm investigating alternative carrying methods for my gear such as a system harness.

Yeah, I need a D200 for now I guess so I have a back-up body. I will also be picking up an inexpensive mid range lens in case. I will probably just keep my D300 and upgrade to the D3 at a later date.

Okay, picked up a D200 with a battery grip a little bit ago. Now I have a back-up body!

I have noticed that you asked specifically about a contract and no one replied with any specifics. I assume that you have done a search on Google for "Photography contract"? I just did that search and it came up with a bunch of links specific to weddings.

If you don't do anything else for yourself please, make sure that you have EVERYTHING in writing! I am a business owner and I have been taken advantage of in the beginning because we didn't have a contract. Now I make sure that EVERYTHING included in what we do for the customer is included in writing... with a separate price page for any extras that might be involved.

I don't know what to tell you as far as pricing goes as I have no idea what to charge but I think that the contract is the most important thing from a business standpoint.

ttfn
CDL.

Yeah, I got a contract from a lady here...I am going to have the other photog look at it and compare to his that a lawyer did. Thanks though!

Two more of my favorite photos from the first wedding.

kidscakesx3.jpg

prettygirlue5.jpg

Mike

They're gorgeous!

It's funny, you might get some people here pick them apart and say,,, nah there's an arm sticking in the first one - no good. Or the shadows on the girls arm in the second photo are all funky. But I don't think it matters in these photos. The bride and groom are going to love them because they know the people in them! That sentimental value is great!

I agree! For portraits that wouldn't even be a factor...I would make sure of it. These images were both shot in a dimly lit room and I had an alien bee and a vivitar bouncing running on a pocket wizards so shadows were hard to beat. As for the two girls walking...I happened to turn around and see them and just snapped, I didn't have time to ask the guy to move...lol

But I know what you mean.

Wedding #3 down!!! Let me know what you think of these images I shot. Again, I was the second photog on this wedding.

weddingiiipics5bz1.jpg

weddingiiipics6oy9.jpg

weddingiiipics23jz1.jpg

weddingiiipics24la1.jpg

C&C Welcome!

I really like the last three of the bride and groom... something about that first one just doesn't "do it" for me if ya know what I mean... nothing wrong with the photo at all just something about it I don't like as much as I like the rest. The rest of them are really nice. And, it's great that you're getting so much experience! The more the better eh? Apparently though, you don't need that much! ;)

ttfn
CDL.

I think the white balance is a little off, I'm not so sure though. I think the composition is pretty nice though. I really like number 2 and number 4, they're favorite. It doesn't hurt that she is a really good looking bride either =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back