First Wedding...

Nice job!!! While I agree that the WB is off it actually works for some of the shots. Sort of gives them an old retro feel. #10 for instance has that retro look but #7 is way to yellow. I think you did a good job!!!

Definitely what everyone else said. White Balance, shoot raw, especially at a wedding, it will save your butt every time. Try for a few more natural spontaneous interactions between the bride and groom. They looked a tiny bit forced and he looked like he was having a ball with the guys. But for a first effort A+ Great job.

Great photos! As was stated the WB is off, but an easy fix if shot in RAW. I think 4 is my favorite. Candid shots are the best :D

I completely agree with most of the comments above. Great job for the first time out! The location is wonderful! So much contrast and texture. WB is something to work on and defiantly shoot in RAW. You get a great advantage shooting as a second photographer. Sounds like you picked up a lot of good info and you seem to have a good eye!

For your first wedding, you did a great job :) I especially like #1, 9, 13. For #9, *I* would have shot it with the couple centered within the frame of the door behind them, and tried to make the b&w pop more. For #13 I would clone out the man's arm on the right hand side.

Try to shoot in RAW when you don't have much light to work with.
Most importantly, keep shooting, keep making mistakes, and keep learning from them! cheers!

Thanks to both of you on the kudos.

Bennilou: I agree completely with the wb. I am such a rookie - I had it set to daylight the entire evening of the wedding! Learning experience :)

Ghache: I was laughing pretty hard too! That particular groomsmen was funny the entire night. The group clown :)

Does anyone have technical advice on what I can do better or adjust for the future?

Everyone does it differently, but here is how I handle Wedding WB. I shoot everything on auto WB and worry about it later. We have three shooters at every wedding, normally swinging two cameras a piece. Both of my thirds use Nikon, and the WB is very different. At the end of the day, I need to make all six of these cameras come out the same. Shoot RAW and then deal with it later.

Many solo shooters use gels or custom WB, and that is cool if only one camera is involved. The trouble with that however, is that in Weddings, you are bouncing around from the bride's get ready room, to the groom's room, to the outdoors for formals, and then back into a dark as hell church for the wedding. Then outside again for the church leave, and then ever dimming light at the reception. Who has time to dicker with their settings back and forth? Auto wb will save you from all of that. Yes, it's more work on the backend, but you won't have the b&g standing around waiting on you to set your camera correctly, or miss something because the lighting situation just changed in a nanosecond.

I hope that helps.

And congrats again for a job well done.

Wow, you did a great job! Congrats on the first wedding! It gets easier as you go! Really well done!

One wedding has nothing to do with the other. You give the gift that you can afford and want to give. It should not be conditional based on other past events.

I disagree with the white balance comments, honestly. But I prefer warmer colors in shots so that's just my opinion. Especially during a wedding. A lot of wedding shots are bright and contain a lot of white. Weddings are warm, gentle events. I think the tone suits. I think they're great shots.

Most reactions

Back