First Wedding!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by JessicaBlair, Jun 8, 2010.

1. JessicaBlair

JessicaBlair TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hi Everybody,
    I'm shooting my first wedding as the primary shooter this weekend for my cousin. No I'm not charging them, and yes they have already seen my work. I want to make sure that I have everything I need, and might need.

The wedding is outside, pretty much in a field. The ceremony isn't under anything, just the tables are under tents. Here is the equipment that I have and will be getting this week. Please give me your input on anything else I would need and any advice for an outdoor wedding. The ceremony is at 1.

Nikon D3000
    SB600
    Nikon 18-55 3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6
    Tamron 70-300 4-5.6
    Polarizer Filter
    UV Filter -on the way
    Extra Batteries-on the way
    Tripod
    Several SD cards

Is there anything else that I am missing? I want to make sure I have everything ready by Friday :) Thanks

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I only see one camera and one flash on that list. What if something stops working, or falls & breaks etc? Even if you aren't charging them, do you want to be in a situation where you have to apologize for not getting the photos because your camera stopped working? This is their wedding after all.

I wouldn't bother with the UV filter. I'd try the polarizing filter though, but remember that it steals some light, and you only have 'slow' lenses, so take the filter off if/when you have trouble getting fast enough shutter speeds.

As for shooting in a field at 1:00, an overhead sun can cause some really dark shadow which can look bad, especially if it gives people raccoon eyes. So if that's the situation, use your flash or a reflector or something to bounce some light into their faces.

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree about the harsh shadow but I dont know if I agree with the reflector. Maybe only after the ceremony when you do the wedding party pictures?

4. JessicaBlair

JessicaBlair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Kodak Z812 IS that I will be using if anything happens to my Nikon. My cousins have already been informed of this and are okay with it. I told them, I am not a professional by any means! But they are working on a limited budget (VERY limited) and can't afford the $3800 that other photographers charge. They are a young couple with one child and work hard for everything they have. But in this area, you don't earn much for working your butt off all week :)

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have you thought about renting gear for the wedding? Getting some pro glass with greatly help with not only the image quality, but the potential low light when the sun goes down.

Renting something like a D300 or D700 would be a huge help over the D3000 you have, and as its a smallish wedding, renting a 24-70 2.8 would be a great idea. Your D3000 could then be a backup to the D300/700.

Have you read through some books and looked at online examples? Check out a library or head to a book store and either spend an hour reading them there or buy them straight up.
    Have you made a required shot list with them?
    Have you planned out how and when you will doing the pictures in relation to the events of the wedding?
    Do you have a contact person in the bridal party, other than the bride, to help gather and direct people for the required shots?
    Do you have a good hande on how exposure and metering works? You will be taking pictures of a bride in a white and a groom in black, if not exposed or metered properly, things will look off. And remember, when in doubt, expose for the bride.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I was also trying to figure out what the UV filter is for?

The image sensor already has a UV filter in front of it and if it's not a high quality UV filter can only hurt image qualityby reducing contrast and introducing unwanted flare.

7. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I assumed the UV filter was the generic term for the filter that people put in front of their lenses to protect them, the one they keep on at all times.

8. ifi

ifi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very good points!

9. JessicaBlair

JessicaBlair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have thought about renting, but there isn't any place anywhere close to me that rents camera equipment. And, I dont have the $300 to rent from a website for a wedding that I'm not getting paid for. I showed them other weddings that I have shot with my D3000 and they were very happy with them.

10. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just do it then gal, UV is pretty useless apart from a front element protector otherwise you have all the gear of today's professional wedding tog. H

11. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use lens hoods instead of UV filters when you know there won't be any blowing sand or bad weather conditions.

12. JessicaBlair

JessicaBlair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thank you!