First Wedding

skyonfire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all.. This was the first time I tried to do wedding photography. All comments are welcome! My images are OTE as long as you tell me what ya did!

rings-1.jpg

hitched.jpg

bride-groom.jpg

bridalparty.jpg

Well I am kinda new to wedding photography itself, but I will give some critiques.

1. Needs white balance temp. help and/or color adjustments. You cut off the guys finger and cuff. Need to watch that stuff.

2. Soft and too much head room. I'm assuming you weren't shooting with a flash. Was that a church rule? If so, you needed to either have a faster lens or shoot at a much higher iso. Maybe some sharpening will help here.

3. If your going to leave that much room around the bride and groom, you've got to get all of them. They are cut off at the shins.

4. The group shot needs help with white balance/color. You need to watch the little details too. Get the kids shirt tucked in, try to get that groom to look a little happier about being married.:D

The last 2 really needed some flash. Hope I wasn't to harsh. It is a learning process.

First let me say thank you for your input.I really appreciate it. Secondly I did this for the experience. I didn't charge the couple (the bride is my cousin).
As for the groom smiling, he didn't crack a smile the whole day.

As for the flash it wasn't allowed by the church, if it had been I would have used it.

As for the white balance I am still learning and I'm not sure I know how to do that with 35 mm film.

As for the little details thank you for pointing those out.. I will pay closer attention next time..

As for the little man with the untucked shirt... We tucked it 5 times b4 the pic was taken.. and everytime he untucked it.. Guess that's part of working with kids..

And for the sharpening.. The actual prints were much sharper. The scanner I have is not a very good one.. and I didn't do anything to them after they were scanned..

The bride and groom were very happy with them... and I guess that's all that matters..

The bride and groom were very happy with them... and I guess that's all that matters..
Absolutely.....that is what counts. And the film scanning does make a difference.
Really, I now place blame on you developer.:D Really, they should be able to make the color corrections.

The only way to learn is to do it, so that is cool to get a chance like that.

Could you have used a flash for the formals? Usually, that is just during the ceremony.

I hope my post didn't seem overly harsh. It's hard to type with levity. Plus I'm a teacher, so I always have a need to hit everything.

Your reply was right on.. I put the pictures up expecting critisism . As a matter of fact that is exactly what I wanted. I asked the pastor and he said that flash was not allowed at all inside the building.

The fact that the bench in no.3 is almost level but not quite throws it off for me. Try to adjust your angle so that the bench appears level next time.

Never really noticed it.. Thanks for pointing that out.. Guess I need to pay just a little more attention to the little things.. But it was the first time I'd every done anything other than landscapes..

KevinR said:
Really, I now place blame on you developer.:D Really, they should be able to make the color corrections.
I'm sorry there is only so much color correctuon that can be done to photos that are that yellow before they start looking bad

That was kinda a joke. Notice the smilie. I was refering to the first one really. You can take some of that yellow out. Most machines have a preset Tungsten and Flourescent correction. It just takes some tinkering. The other ones where corrected to a point.

I just go to a local 1 hour photo place.. So I'm gonna say they probably don't do a whole lot to them.. And I've pretty much decided (based on a couple other things) that I'm going to start taking them to a pro lab..

I asked the place where I had been taking my film if they did any kind of corrections and the girl looked at me like I was nuts.. Guess the answer is no.. lol :lol:

I would just show them the photos and tell them that the color is way off...they say a picture is worth 1000 words. A lot of places will just reprint your images if you are not happy with the color.

I certainly found that my prints turned out much better when I stopped going to Wal-mart and went to a photo lab.

Most reactions

Back