First week on a DSLR

Brad06ag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I would share some of my first pics with my first DSLR (point and shooter before this)

Nikon D50 18-55mmf/3.5-5.6G (kit lens)

I've had the camera bug for a while and a guy at work was upgrading from this very lightly used camera, so I got it for a steal. Now to work on taking better quality photos.

Here are some pics from my first week with the camera.

1. Sunset off the coast. (needs to be rotated slightly)
2206199575_5a160c4c9e_b.jpg

2. Looking out from a waterfall
2206981484_2041e1ca92.jpg

3. Orchid
2206971978_a155c8341a.jpg

4. What are you looking at?
2206936860_9cc4e2fcbc_b.jpg

5. Playing with light.
2200360051_0182a67717_b.jpg

Those are really good! the color and composition are great. The last one is my favorite..

I really like the repetition in #3, and althought the bokeh isn't of great quality, it still really looks good.

#1 needs to have a reaon to be tilted ... or it needs to be made straight :D. I love the contrast in that one.

I feel that #4 is out of focus and slightly overexposed. Parots are cool, but that's not my favourite shot.

#5 looks almost too good to be true. Did you stage that? Be honest! It looks fantastic. It's got a beauty-in-desolation thing going on that I like.

#5 looks almost too good to be true. Did you stage that? Be honest! It looks fantastic. It's got a beauty-in-desolation thing going on that I like.

It is staged. The picture was taken in my apartment with no backdrop, and an LED flashlight as a light source so the flower was the only thing with light. The flower is from a retention resevoir near my place (in mid January, go figure).

I agree #1 needs to be straightened, thats what I meant by the "needs to be rotated slightly" comment on before the picture. I guess saying that it needs to be straightened would have be a more clear description.

Thanks for the critiques! I appreciate them.

In my opinion, your fifth picture is the best of the bunch!

the last shot is amazing!

I can't believe you've only shot with a DLSR for one week!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back