First Widlife lens

Uplander... clean your lens and/or sensor now and then... lol

:lol: I saw that after the fact. One of my first shots with digital, I'm not as ignorant now as I was back then.

Now that is just confusing!
It looks like a difference in how canon and nikon display information to the user
For Canon the TC will change the max aperture achivable with the lens - even though the lens is at f2.8 with the tc the light let in is f5.6 level and thus the camera treats it as such even if you raise the ISO - you cannot select f2.8 as an aperture. The only time that is possible is when the teleconverter is not reporting to the camera (it does not notice it being connected) and thus the light properties change.

I think the only way to work it would be to compare your lens at 400mm with the TC with a prime 400mm f2.8 lens also at f2.8 and see if the depth of field for both is the same or different

Certainly your the first Nikon user to explain things as such to me (though not being a nikon follower it might just be that this info has passed me by)

Now that is just confusing!
It looks like a difference in how canon and nikon display information to the user
For Canon the TC will change the max aperture achivable with the lens - even though the lens is at f2.8 with the tc the light let in is f5.6 level and thus the camera treats it as such even if you raise the ISO - you cannot select f2.8 as an aperture. The only time that is possible is when the teleconverter is not reporting to the camera (it does not notice it being connected) and thus the light properties change.

I think the only way to work it would be to compare your lens at 400mm with the TC with a prime 400mm f2.8 lens also at f2.8 and see if the depth of field for both is the same or different

Certainly your the first Nikon user to explain things as such to me (though not being a nikon follower it might just be that this info has passed me by)

I believe what he means is you can get the results of a larger aperture at a higher ISO with a camera that creates less noise at high ISO.

You put a TC on and the aperture shrinks. Max aperture is the circle of light a lens can let in. A TC reduces this circle the same as a camera's apture mechcanically does same as your eye's pupal does.

Jerry did the f-stop increase on the display when you put on the TC?

When I used one it didn't.

I had the camera in manual... the settings did not change when I slapped on the TC, but the meter read the scene as being much darker. It was at F/2.8 before the TC, but until I raised ISO, it did not display as "properly metered"... which it did read as "centered" before the addition of the TC. To get it to read as metered properly the ONLY thing I did was raise ISO from 200 to 800. I then took a few pics, took them home looked them over and then just deleted them.

I had enough info to know that I want a 2X TC one day... after my Nikkor 14-24mm F/2.8, 16mm F/2.8 Fisheye and studio light kit, so it will be a little while. :)

LOL, I found the shift to F stops, shutter speeds and ISO interesting as that is what I have been working on the last couple of weeks.

Now I see the spots, you guys sure are picky. Still great stuf Uplander

Now I see the spots, you guys sure are picky. Still great stuf Uplander

:lol: :lol: I found them pretty obvious, there were several of them.

It is a good pic though... and nothing that 30 seconds with Photoshop's clone tool could not fix easily enough.

I get excellent results with my Sigma 50-500. For a zoom of such range, the IQ us very decent. I never have autofocus issues. Its an EX series lens, so the build quality is fantastic. I use it on both my XTi and my 40D. For the price, its a great lens. I am considering going to the Canon 100-400, however, I will rent that lens first and do some side by side compairisons. Its a lens to consider, it has a great following.

Derrick

I have somewhat of an update. I got a Canon 2x extender as a gift the other day. If you are at all considering this item, throw all those thoughts out the window. Image quality plain sucks. At 400mm my Sigma walks all over my Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS with a 2x extender. Not even a contest. Just thought I would add this info. I taped a paper on the wall and did tripod mounted tests with mirror lockup and timer release. I was shocked. I knew the image quality would suffer, but the 2x extender is only good for one thing.....throwing at the guy that sold it to you. LOL

Derrick

Thanks Montana. I've been hearing that the 1.4 is fine but the 2.0 can be an issue

Right now my angst is whether I spend the money on the canon or save a little with the Sigma

2*TC is not all that bad. On an L prime lens like a 300mm f2.8 it can still manage to deliver some very good results - however it is a harder teleconverter to use and has its limitations. One factor is that its performance is also linked to camera body - stick it on a rebel body and you will get worse image quality than if its on a mid range or a 1D pro body.
Myself I think its results on a 70-200mm f2.8 are not printable to a large size at all- but for web use one can get acceptable results:
IMG_0077.jpg

shot handheld - not perfect but better than trying at 200mm ;)

For the canon TC 2x you can't use it on any lense slower than f2.8. From Canon's website:

With the EF 2x II, AF is possible with any EOS body if the lens has an f/2.8 or faster maximum aperture, and compatible Image Stabilization lenses maintain the IS feature when used with any current EOS camera.

Why try and guess which lens is best for you? Why not rent a couple copies and have several trips out into the wild or even test them at the zoo?

LensRentals.com - Rent Canon, Nikon, Olympus, or Sony Lenses and Cameras is a great place for reviews and rentals. Descently priced for a week. I've yet to try them but I'm going to sooner or later. I just bought my 70-200 f/4L today. I'm really interested in the 1.4x converter. It works on anything faster than f/4.

That site rips on long focal length Sigma's and Tamron's for build quality but I've never personally tried them. I can speak to my cheapo Sigma though!

My friend bought the 100-400mm L and he absolutely loves it. He's literally foaming at the mouth for some motorsport work!

-JD-

My results were shot on a 40D. My extender is the mark I version. Not sure if the mark II is any better, but I know that I will not be using mine, LOL.

And as for Sigmas build quality, if its an EX series lens, its built very well. Even my Sigma 17-70 is built very well.

I think a few rental places have low views of sigma - mainly from the super zooms. Thing is canon have just as much trouble with their 100-400mm in production. I also think that superzooms for rent are going to end up in the field (quite literally) and there is a good chance a few have had a bit of a knocking about

As for teleconverters I belive the Mark 2 versions are optically better than the Mark 1

Most reactions

New Topics

Back