First wildlife shot with DSLR (hawk)

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Stupid thing was driving me nuts this morning with its high pitched screech. Was able to get these shots of him for the first time.
c&c welcome
Thanks!

l_2c19b6a314ab42f4a2a0a19d965ef4c6.jpg

l_3b42ae7247a146d4b31d5286503324d1.jpg

Big, I'd like to see you lighten up the face in #1 so you can see some detail. Looks like there might be a very intent expression hiding in the shadows. I know a lot of people are all about the Rule of Thirds (not my favorite thing for the most part) but all that white bokah really pulls my attention from the subject. So, I don't know if this is a case where cropping some of it out would be acceptable to those that play by the rules.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try. As far as rule of thirds goes, it seems like that's what everyone cares about on here. Most say they hate centered compositions so I figured if I cropped it like that people would like it more. It was early this morning and the light wasn't very bright so it cast the shadows on him but I'll see what I can do.

I hear you. The ROT camp is very large here. It surely has it's place and even I agree I like some shots composed that way. But since I shoot for myself (family & friends get to share) I go more to the center, it's where I seem to be happier. It's just good know your options.

I hear you. The ROT camp is very large here. It surely has it's place and even I agree I like some shots composed that way. But since I shoot for myself (family & friends get to share) I go more to the center, it's where I seem to be happier. It's just good know your options.

Can I join the anti ROT club? :lol: I normally prefer to center my stuff also, especially flowers. :blushing: I always have walked to the beat of a different drummer. I realize the ROT has a prominent place in photography and rightly so, and many people have applied it to their work without even knowing it, even in almost centered shots, but I do find too many people anymore view it as a rule instead of what is - a guideline, and that has really started to bug me.

Big - I would do a tighter crop on both shots and try to lighten the shadows on the hawks head for more detail.

I cropped a little off the right sides I wanted to avoid this because I think the large crop would drop the quality of the shot. I also brightened up the head a little.
I also edited out the green leaf from the second shot that was just to the left of his tail and then used a copy of his tail from the first shot and placed it over his green tail. lol I think it looks better.
l_67df79071aa248f5b9eac692acfa70f6.jpg

l_b8b862b448f749f096e3e42d5f801106.jpg

:thumbup: much better.

That is a lot better. Now you just have to go back out and get him to move around so the light is just right, LOL. Isn't wildlife photography fun!!! Wish I had your PP skills. Stay out there and keep shooting.

Most reactions

Back