Firtst photo shoot!

mommaof2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today i am going on a photo shoot with my friend that is teaching me about photography. I am going to shoot some pics and wanted to know does anyone have any ideas on poses, the shoot is for a girl that is a senior.
This will the first time that i am actually shooting something that breathe and moves so i need some advice. I am sure my friend wont put me out there by myself but still i would like to know what all to expect so i dont look clueless!!

When I was starting out with portrait stuff, poses seemed really intimidating, but eventually I realized that people didn't know if I was BS-ing my way through poses. I've found that your subject will feel more comfortable if you seem more confident. Just put them in poses, even if you're not so sure how they're going to look. If they don't work, just move on to something new. If they do work, keep shooting and let the subject know they're doing a good job. They'll start to feel more comfortable and that will lead to more natural photographs.

Well, at least that was my technique as I started out. Still is when I'm shooting a particularly challenging subject and I get lost.

Since this is a senior portrait, she will definitely have energy and probably pretty out going. My advice is pretty simple. While poses are important, engaging in some conversation to loosen your subject up and getting sincere smiles is a big plus. Your subject is not a pro model, therefore asking for a smile from her may look fake. Get to know her a bit while shooting some images. Assuming you are shooting digital, no film to waste!

Most reactions

Back