Fish & Fry

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Aquamojo, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Aquamojo

Aquamojo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a particularly beautiful Central Americna cichlid called Parachromis Motaguense. What makes it particularly nice is the collection locale. I brought this fish back from Honduras two years ago. The fish caught in the Rio Blanco are noted for their lovely coloration and pattern.

Fully grown, the male will be a stunning 14". Right now he is a little over half that. Even at this small size they are prolific breeders as noted by the tiny fry swimming near the parents. The Cichlid species as a whole are very good parents who will spend a month protecting them from predators...as you might imagine with the set of teeth on the male,

From a photographic stand point, they were shot with a Nikon D200 with Nikkor 105mm Micro lens with vibration reduction. It was lit with a single flash placed above the tank and a 40W flourescent to "fill in some of the blanks". I used a small reflector to bounce bach some light as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do like the lighting you use for your fish photography!!!
    They are all so surprisingly sharp and don't seem to have been taken through the glass of the tank! The colouring on these cichlids IS particularly beautiful! You are right. And you went to collect your fish yourself in Honduras? What an experience.

So the whole amount of baby fish is called "fry"? Never knew that!
    What all TPF is good for................!!!! :D

3. Aquamojo

Aquamojo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. Yes, I traveled to Honduras two years ago to collect fish. It was an amazing experience. I got some excellent photos of the Mayan ruins while I was there. I will post some later.