Fisherman with Sunset

AltLars

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here and would appreciate feedback on the following picture.
The Camera I am using is an Olympus Camedia C-3000
3.3 megapixel point and shoot.

JasonFishCroppedsized.jpg

We were sitting around the campfire eating some burgers and drinking a few cans of Old Style when my granddaughter said to me how the sky looked orange...crap!!!!I wanted to take some pictures down by the lake, but got involved in telling white lies, big lies, half truths and no truths. Grabbed the camera and cycled thru the menus to get to the manual mode, took a few pictures of the sun setting. Walking around the end of the lake I spotted this fisherman, but to my immediate right was a pontoon boat tied to a pier. I took what I could without being spotted. The rod end and boat intersected and the boat took away the focus of the subject, so I cropped it out. I believe that some of the softness could be from resizing as I noticed a shift as I resized it in MGI before unloading to photobucket.

Thanks again for your time.
Best to all,
AltLars

I do like the colours here and the overal picture is nice. But I'm not sure about composition. I would try to have a fisherman on the left side, but you say that there was a boat there... I dunno it's hard to say. but you cannot reshoot it :) so my only advice now.... try playing with levels in any graphic program to loose the details on the fisherman. I think that the silhouette of him only would be perfect. Now I can see details on his shorts and cap

Ditto. I'd want to see either more or less. Unfortunately there is a lot of black in this image. I'd suggest a square crop, but that puts him right in the middle. The horizon is also right along the middle, which I don't care for. Maybe try a vertical 8x10 crop starting in the lower right corner with the top crop just above the cloud.

it's a shame all the fishing rod isnt in the frame.

i would be tempted to do a portrait crop on this

I do like the idea of the 8 by 10 from the lower right. That might possibly take away from the effect of the dock kind of leading up to the fisherman? I'm not sure if that was your intention or not, but I still think the 8 by 10 is a good choice.

Thanks to all who took the time to view and more importantly to me took the time to give me advice.

I have been resisting digital but as I see more and more of everyones work and the post-processing, I'm more than impressed...I'm humbled beyond words.

On the above picture I wish I would have gone on the dock/pier to the right and shot the fisherman to the left of frame. The pier was aluminum and I thought this guy would see me and I wanted a "natural" shot, so I took it from the bank. As far as the horizion I was trying to get all of the elements in the picture that I saw from the shore. The clouds, the tree silhouettes, the boat, the pier and of course that fisherman. Next time I will vary the zoom (which isn't allot with my camera), the height/angle of camera position and my position relative to the subject. I think at the time I was more impressed with the cloud/sunset and did not suck the whole image into my brain.

I got into film photography/darkroom in 1978. I shot mostly color at that time, I was self teaching the photography and darkroom work. Did a few cool things, but still ranked as an amatuer. During this time I was playing drums in a band, raising a family and working as an apprentice. Too many things to do and not enough money, so the hobby of photography was dropped. Sold my cameras but kept my darkroom stuff. These past 2 months I have started on a darkroom and I'm excited about photography again. I have certain things I am going to do and being a member of this group will help me more than you know.

1997 was a year that shook my wife and I to the core. I was diagnoised with Multiple Myeloma Stage III which isn't a good thing. I was 40 years old and held a supervisory job that I loved and had men that I respected and they me. I did 4 months of Chemo then had a stem cell transplant Feb. 1998, I went back to work April 1998, I was told I would be off work for at least 6 months. I couldn't take anymore Oprah or Jerry Springer (I had the cable turned off before transplant). We were told to expect 3 to 5 years as a survivor. I was good with that. When I went back to work I was told that I had a new position in the company (which also wasn't a good thing). I was being squeezed out due to the large costs that I was incuring to the insurance package. I quit that company a year later.

Now that I'm still here, I want to leave some marks that my life was good and that I was here. I started writing some poetry...what the crap!!! I felt dumb telling some of my friends that this Harley riding fool was writing some stuff. But to my surprise I was supported by them and they would come to the poetry slams I entered. I did those things and other stuff as I wanted to start experiencing things that I would not normally do.

The picture I took was at a campground with my family and their family. I have a son and daughter and they both joined the Air Force in 1999. Jason and Sofie have not seen each other for 3 years. Sofie has been in Belgium and Jason in Colorado. Each of my kids have 2 kids. In 1997 when my daughter was in high school and my son was a sophomore in college, I believed I would not meet my grandchildren. Not only have I met them, but I get to impress on them who I am. Cody is 6, Hannah 4, Elias 3 and Kaily is 2.

My house will be empty at the end of this week as my kids will go back to their jobs. My wife (Inger) and I are planning a 3 to 4 day cabin trip somewhere in Wisconsin. Not sure where, looking through a campground book right now. Everyone is invited, bring swim trunks, fishing poles, good appetites, be a little thirsty, and of course your cameras.

My message about my life is do not feel sorry for me as I have lived my life as well as I good and I do not regret anything.
Ok that's a lie, I regret getting rid of my cameras.

Best to all,
AltLars

Most reactions

New Topics

Back